HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER

Name:Roxholm Methodist Chapel
HER Number:64111
Type of record:Building

Summary

Roxholm Methodist chapel. Now in use as a house.

Images

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel  © Lincolnshire County Council

Roxholm Methodist chapel © Lincolnshire County Council

Grid Reference:TF 060 501
Map Sheet:TF05SE
Parish:ROXHOLM, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

A Methodist (Wesleyan) chapel and burial ground are shown on the 1905 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series map. {1}

The chapel and its grounds are still shown on the current map, labelled as a Methodist church and grave yard, implying that the chapel is still in use. The grave yard has also been extended. {2}

The site was visited in 2009. The chapel closed in 2005 and is now disused though the burial ground appears to be still in use. The chapel was built by John Montague Cole of Roxholme Hall in 1871 and became part of Sleaford Wesleyan Circuit in 1875. The surviving building has two cells; the main body of the chapel to the north and a lower, narrower cell to the south with a separate door which was probably a Sunday School. The chapel is built of red brick with ashlar dressings and has a slated, gabled roof. The main chapel has a broad front of three bays with a central gabled porch, with a pointed door, flanked by pointed windows all with ashlar arches, and alternating ashlar blocks and brick in the jambs, with the same scheme forming quoins at the angles of the building. The bays are defined by stepped brick buttresses with stone cappings. The chapel has a broad decorative wooden eaves band and finials. A pulpit and semi-circular benches survive inside. Original pointed sash windows survive in the smaller cell but the window frames have been replaced by plastic in the main chapel. A small structure with the same decorative eaves band as the chapel lies between the chapel and the burial ground. {3}{4}

A building survey was conducted in 2010, prior to the conversion of the former Methodist Chapel to residential accommodation. The chapel was built by Mr Montague Cole for the workers of his estate at Roxholm. The building was designed by a Mr Whitaker of Dorrington. The chapel was opened on Friday 16th June 1871, and was celebrated by a public tea, which was attended by 180 people. The chapel had 5 rows of pews on either side of a central walkway. There was evidence of two separate fireplaces, one in the main chapel, and one in the schoolroom. The outbuilding is built in a similar style, of red brick with a slate roof, and has two double timber doors on the western elevation and a window on the northern elevation. {5}


<1> Ordnance Survey, 1905, 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition (Map)


<2> Ordnance Survey, 2002, OS Landline digital map (Map)


<3> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels (Digital archive)


<4> Lincolnshire County Council, 2009, Lincolnshire Archives - Methodist Records (Internet Web Site)


<5> Sarah Williamson, 2010, Roxholm Methodist Chapel (Intervention Report)

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval to Modern - 1871 AD to 2050 AD)
  • SUNDAY SCHOOL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1871 AD to 2005 AD)
  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1871 AD to 2005 AD)
  • HOUSE (Modern - 2010 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to nonconformist chapel and burial ground, Roxholm
  • Roxholm Methodist Chapel

Sources and further reading

<1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1905. 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition. paper. 1:2500. 97/10.
<2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 2002. OS Landline digital map. Digital. Digital. 1:2500. TF0650.
<3>Digital archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 64111.
<4>Internet Web Site: Lincolnshire County Council. 2009. Lincolnshire Archives - Methodist Records. http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk/archives/. Roxholme Chapel.
<5>Intervention Report: Sarah Williamson. 2010. Roxholm Methodist Chapel. -.