HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Settlement of Quarrington
HER Number:65260
Type of record:Monument

Summary

The settlement of Quarrington is first mentioned in Domesday Book and survives to the present day as part of the western side of Sleaford

Grid Reference:TF 055 444
Map Sheet:TF04SE
Parish:SLEAFORD, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE
Quarrington, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 65260
The settlement of Quarrington is first mentioned in Domesday Book. Land there belonged to the King, the Bishop of Lincoln and Ramsey Abbey, although there were several disputes about this. There was a minimum population of 33 sokemen, 16 bordars and 3 villeins. Three mills and two churches are also mentioned. {1}
The name Quarrington is of Old English origin and may perhaps mean 'the farmstead, village with a hand-mill' although this may refer to any kind of mill. {2}
The Lay Subsidy of 1334 lists the wealth of Quarrington (with Millthorpe) as £4 10s 4 1/2d, slightly below average for its wapentake (Aswardhurn). {3}
The Diocesan Return of 1563 records 17 households in the parish. {4}
By the late 17th-early 18th century there were 35 families in the parish, rising to 50. {5}
By 1801 there were 101 people in the parish, rising to 865 by 1901. {6}
A half-groat of Edward III (PRN 65260a) was found in the garden of 4 Manor Road in 1980, and a 16th century jetton (PRN 65260b) was found in the churchyard in 1979. {9}
During archaeological investigations on land at Manor Farm (TF 05686 44419), several features of medieval and later date were uncovered (PRN 65260c). These include two pits of 10th-11th century and 10th-12th century date and a small amount of pottery from this period, indicating some kind of domestic activity in the area. Two ditches, one dating to the 13th century and one dating to the 16th-18th century, were also revealed. These features both contained redeposited earlier material. These ditches may relate to drainage or boundaries, and they are perpendicular to each other suggesting that they may have been part of the same right angled ditch, or same system of ditches, which remained in use over several centuries. Two undated pits may relate to any of these phases of activity, or may be earlier. A horseshoe of 14th-15th century type was also recovered. {10}{11}
During a watching brief at TF 0568 4441, a single undated ditch (PRN 65260d) was revealed. This had a similar to alignment to other boundaries shown on the 1903 Ordnance Survey map. The site appears to have been in agricultural use in the past, with a slight variation in the thickness of subsoil possibly indicating traces of ridge and furrow. Late post medieval pottery and glass were recovered. {13}{14}


<1> Foster, C.W. and Longley, T., 1924, Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey, 1/3; 7/48; 10/1; 72/32-3 (Bibliographic reference). SLI893.


<2> Cameron, K., 1998, A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names, p 99 (Bibliographic reference). SLI5432.


<3> Glasscock, R. E., 1964, 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers, p 123 (Article in serial). SLI653.


<4> Hodgett, G.A.J., 1975, Tudor Lincolnshire, p 190 (Bibliographic reference). SLI6089.


<5> Cole, R.E.G., 1913, Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part I Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow, p 96 (Bibliographic reference). SLI6090.


<6> Page, W. (editor), 1906, The Victoria County History, p 360 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1104.


<7> Trollope, Edward, 1872, Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln, pp 426-30 (Bibliographic reference). SLI920.


<8> William White, 1856, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition, p 549 (Bibliographic reference). SLI886.


<9> Sleaford SMR cards, TF 04 SE; AC, W (Index). SLI3265.


<10> Archaeological Project Services, 2009, Archaeological Monitoring comprising Strip Map and Sample Recording on land at Manor Farm, 39 Town Road (Plot 1), Quarrington, Sleaford, QUTR09 (Intervention Report). SLI12838.


<11> Archaeological Project Services, 2009, Archaeological Monitoring comprising Strip Map and Sample Recording on land at Manor Farm, 39 Town Road (Plot 1), Quarrington, Sleaford, LCNCC 2009.167 (Excavation archive). SLI12839.


<13> Archaeological Project Services, 2010, Archaeological Watching Brief at Manor Farm, Quarrington, Sleaford, QTRA10 (Intervention Report). SLI13238.


<14> Archaeological Project Services, 2010, Archaeological Watching Brief at Manor Farm, Quarrington, Sleaford, LCNCC 2010.57 (Excavation archive). SLI13239.

Monument Types

  • SETTLEMENT (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Modern - 850 AD? to 2050 AD)
  • PIT (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Medieval - 900 AD to 1199 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • DITCH (Medieval - 1200 AD to 1299 AD)
  • DITCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1500 AD to 1799 AD)

Associated Finds

  • SHERD (Early Medieval/Dark Age to Post Medieval - 900 AD to 1899 AD)
  • HORSESHOE (Medieval - 1300 AD to 1499 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1327 AD to 1343 AD)
  • JETTON (Post Medieval - 1580 AD to 1610 AD)

Associated Events

  • Watching brief at Manor Farm, Quarrington, Sleaford
  • Archaeological investigations on land at 39 Town Road, Quarrington

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: Foster, C.W. and Longley, T.. 1924. Lincolnshire Domesday and Lindsey Survey. 1/3; 7/48; 10/1; 72/32-3.
<2>Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K.. 1998. A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place-Names. p 99.
<3>Article in serial: Glasscock, R. E.. 1964. 'The Lay Subsidy of 1334 for Lincolnshire' in Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society Reports and Papers. p 123.
<4>Bibliographic reference: Hodgett, G.A.J.. 1975. Tudor Lincolnshire. p 190.
<5>Bibliographic reference: Cole, R.E.G.. 1913. Speculum Dioeceseos Lincolniensis sub Episcopis Gul: Wake et Edm: Gibson A.D.1705-1723. Part I Archdeaconries of Lincoln and Stow. p 96.
<6>Bibliographic reference: Page, W. (editor). 1906. The Victoria County History. Lincolnshire volume II. p 360.
<7>Bibliographic reference: Trollope, Edward. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. pp 426-30.
<8>Bibliographic reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. p 549.
<9>Index: Sleaford SMR cards. SLEAFORD. TF 04 SE; AC, W.
<10>Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2009. Archaeological Monitoring comprising Strip Map and Sample Recording on land at Manor Farm, 39 Town Road (Plot 1), Quarrington, Sleaford. QUTR09.
<11>Excavation archive: Archaeological Project Services. 2009. Archaeological Monitoring comprising Strip Map and Sample Recording on land at Manor Farm, 39 Town Road (Plot 1), Quarrington, Sleaford. LCNCC 2009.167.
<13>Intervention Report: Archaeological Project Services. 2010. Archaeological Watching Brief at Manor Farm, Quarrington, Sleaford. QTRA10.
<14>Excavation archive: Archaeological Project Services. 2010. Archaeological Watching Brief at Manor Farm, Quarrington, Sleaford. LCNCC 2010.57.

Related records

60487Related to: Early - Middle Saxon Settlement, Town Road, Quarrington (Monument)