HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford
HER Number:65337
Type of record:Building

Summary

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford

Images

Former Baptist Chapel, Boston Road, Old Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Baptist Chapel, Boston Road, Old Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Baptist Chapel, Boston Road, Old Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Baptist Chapel, Boston Road, Old Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:TF 069 456
Map Sheet:TF04NE
Parish:SLEAFORD, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 65337
There was a Baptist chapel at Old Sleaford, to the north of Boston Road, which was built in 1811. {1}

The site was visited in 2009. The former Baptist chapel is situated in a courtyard which is approached through a passage from the north side of Boston Road and is entered through a triangular-headed gateway in a brick wall. It is now a house named Hamilton Place. It was built in 1808 or 1811 and opened in 1812 by Mr William Huntingdon and was capable of seating 250 persons. It was probably originally built for a congregation of Independents and later adopted Strict Baptist doctrines. It is a square red brick building (painted white) with a hipped roof with modern concrete tiles. One original sash window with margin lights survives in the rear elevation. Otherwise there are two bays of segmental-headed windows on the side elevations though the windows have been replaced. The front elevation has three bays with a gabled porch, with chamfered angles, and paired square-headed doors. The adjoining gabled annexe contains the original immersion baptismal tank which survives hidden beneath the modern kitchen sink. Two fireplaces survive internally.{2}{3}{4}{5}{6}


<1> Trollope, Edward, 1872, Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln, p 167 (Bibliographic reference). SLI920.


<2> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels, 65337 (Digital archive). SLI9638.


<3> Trollope, Edward, 1872, Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln, page 168 (Bibliographic reference). SLI920.


<4> Fawcett, T., 1902, A History of the Free Churches of Sleaford from 1662 to 1902, page 20 (Bibliographic reference). SLI12354.


<5> Ambler, R.W., 1979, Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851, page 60 (Bibliographic reference). SLI7745.


<6> William White, 1856, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition, page 436 (Bibliographic reference). SLI886.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1811 AD to 1950 AD?)
  • STRICT BAPTIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1811 AD to 1950 AD?)
  • HOUSE (Modern - 1950 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to nonconformist chapel, Boston Road, Sleaford

Protected Status

  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: Trollope, Edward. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. p 167.
<2>Digital archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 65337.
<3>Bibliographic reference: Trollope, Edward. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. page 168.
<4>Bibliographic reference: Fawcett, T.. 1902. A History of the Free Churches of Sleaford from 1662 to 1902. page 20.
<5>Bibliographic reference: Ambler, R.W.. 1979. Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851. page 60.
<6>Bibliographic reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. page 436.