HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Wesleyan Reform Methodist chapel, West Bank, Sleaford
HER Number:65339
Type of record:Building

Summary

Wesleyan Reform Methodist chapel, West Bank, Sleaford. Now a Salvation Army hall

Images

Former Wesleyan Reform chapel, West Bank, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan Reform chapel, West Bank, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan Reform chapel, West Bank, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan Reform chapel, West Bank, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan Reform chapel, West Bank, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan Reform chapel, West Bank, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Grid Reference:TF 065 457
Map Sheet:TF04NE
Parish:SLEAFORD, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 65339
A Wesleyan Reform chapel was built in 1864 on West Bank. {1}

The site was visited in 2009. The extant building was built in 1864 as a Wesleyan Reform Chapel which held 200 people and had a gallery at one end. It became a Salvation Army chapel before 1896 and is still in use as such. The chapel is constructed of red brick, with gault brick dressings, and has a hipped, slated, roof. The angles are emphasised by alternating, beige gault bricks. A modern gabled porch has been added to the 3-bay front, flanked by tall, narrow, round-headed windows which have gault brick dressings, chamfered jambs, and margin lights. A blank ashlar tablet is set above. The side elevations have four bays of identical windows. A lean-to modern annexe has been added to the rear, but traces of a former opening can be discerned in the gable of the original rear elevation.{2}{3}


<1> Trollope, Edward, 1872, Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln, p 169 (Bibliographic reference). SLI920.


<2> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels, 65339 (Digital archive). SLI9638.


<3> Trollope, Edward, 1872, Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln, page 169 (Bibliographic reference). SLI920.

Monument Types

  • WESLEYAN REFORM UNION CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1864 AD? to 1895 AD?)
  • SALVATION ARMY HALL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1895 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to nonconformist chapel, Westbanks, Sleaford

Sources and further reading

<1>Bibliographic reference: Trollope, Edward. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. p 169.
<2>Digital archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 65339.
<3>Bibliographic reference: Trollope, Edward. 1872. Sleaford and the Wapentakes of Flaxwell and Aswardhurn in the County of Lincoln. page 169.