HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Boston Wesleyan Centenary Chapel and attached Church Hall, Red Lion Street, Boston
HER Number:13960
Type of record:Building

Summary

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel with attached church hall, school and other ancillary buildings.

Images

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel, Red Lion Street  © Lincolnshire County Council

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel, Red Lion Street © Lincolnshire County Council

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel, Red Lion Street  © Lincolnshire County Council

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel, Red Lion Street © Lincolnshire County Council

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel, Red Lion Street  © Lincolnshire County Council

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel, Red Lion Street © Lincolnshire County Council

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel, Red Lion Street  © Lincolnshire County Council

Boston Wesleyan Centenary chapel, Red Lion Street © Lincolnshire County Council

Grid Reference:TF 327 443
Map Sheet:TF34SW
Parish:BOSTON, BOSTON, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 13960
The Boston Wesleyan Centenary Chapel is a Grade II* Listed Building and is still in use as a Methodist chapel. It was originally built in 1839 by Stephen Lewin and had a day school and Sunday school almost from the start, though the original school buildings were replaced in 1898. There is an attached church hall which is also listed. The chapel was partially destroyed by fire in 1909 and was rebuilt in 1910, by Gordon and Gunter, at which time the front was completely renewed.The extant front is constructed of Portland stone with tall square towers linked by a convex 2-storey structure and a classical colonnade of pairs of attached Doric columns. The upper storey has a glazed colonnade. The main body of the church is constructed of Gault brick and has 5 bays divided by brick classical pilasters and moulded stucco cornices. There are 2 tiers of windows of 1910 with art nouveau style stained glass. The windows of the shorter upper tier have flat heads and stone dressings and those of the taller lower tier have segmental heads and and stone dressings and keystones. The slate roofs have raised gables with stone copings and kneelers. The late 19th century red brick ancillary buildings linked to the rear include committee rooms, library, offices and school hall. For a full description and the legal addresss of this Grade II* Listed Building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. The graveyard contains monuments.{1}{2}{3}{4}{5}{6}{7}{8}


<1> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels, 13960 (Digital archive). SLI9638.


<2> Department of Culture, Media and Sport, 1999, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 716-1/7/147 (Index). SLI5613.


<3> Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N., 1989, Buildings of England (Second Edition), Page 161 (Bibliographic reference). SLI1062.


<4> Ambler, R.W., 1979, Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851, Pages 48-9 No.245 (Bibliographic reference). SLI7745.


<5> Leary, W., 1972, Methodism in the Town of Boston, Pages 27-39 (Bibliographic reference). SLI12099.


<6> William White, 1856, History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition, Pages 283-284 (Bibliographic reference). SLI886.


<7> Stell, Christopher, 2002, Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England, Page 198 (Bibliographic reference). SLI9202.


<8> Ordnance Survey, 1902-1906, 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition, 108/12 109/9 (Map). SLI3566.

Monument Types

  • CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1839 AD? to 1890 AD?)
  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1839 AD to 1909 AD?)
  • CHURCH HALL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1898 AD to 2050 AD)
  • SCHOOL (Post Medieval to Modern - 1898 AD to 2050 AD)
  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Modern - 1911 AD to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to nonconformist chapel, Red Lion Street, Boston

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Digital archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 13960.
<2>Index: Department of Culture, Media and Sport. 1999. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 716-1/7/147.
<3>Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. and Harris, J., with Antram, N.. 1989. Buildings of England (Second Edition). Lincolnshire. Page 161.
<4>Bibliographic reference: Ambler, R.W.. 1979. Lincolnshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship, 1851. Pages 48-9 No.245.
<5>Bibliographic reference: Leary, W.. 1972. Methodism in the Town of Boston. Pages 27-39.
<6>Bibliographic reference: William White. 1856. History, Gazetteer and Directory of Lincolnshire - Second Edition. Pages 283-284.
<7>Bibliographic reference: Stell, Christopher. 2002. Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Eastern England. Page 198.
<8>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1906. 25 Inch Ordnance Survey County Series Map - Second Edition. paper. 1:2500. 108/12 109/9.