HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Lincolnshire HER Result
Lincolnshire HERPrintable version | About Lincolnshire HER | Visit Lincolnshire HER online...

Name:Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 40-42, Westgate, Sleaford
HER Number:65622
Type of record:Building

Summary

Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 40-42, Westgate, Sleaford

Images

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford  © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan chapel, Westgate, Sleaford © Lincolnshire County Council

Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 40-42, Westgate, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 40-42, Westgate, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 40-42, Westgate, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 40-42, Westgate, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 40-42, Westgate, Sleaford  © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, 40-42, Westgate, Sleaford © Heritage Trust of Lincolnshire

Grid Reference:TF 066 458
Map Sheet:TF04NE
Parish:SLEAFORD, NORTH KESTEVEN, LINCOLNSHIRE

Full description

PRN 65622
The first Methodist services in the Sleaford area were held around 1796 at the Paper Mills and then around 1799 in a hired room in Park's Yard and subsequently in a house in Westgate. Another house in Westgate was purchased when this house became too small and it was demolished and a new chapel built in 1802. This chapel had side galleries added later as the congregation grew. In 1823 this chapel was demolished and the extant building was constructed partly on the same ground and included a Sunday School. This building was used until 1848 when the growing congregation moved to a new chapel in Northgate (PRN 65336) which has subsequently been replaced by a modern chapel, though the 19th Century schoolroom and ministers house survive. The Westgate building was then converted to two dwellings. The walls and roof of the extant building are said to be largely unaltered though two shops were later added to the front. The building is now used by a physiotherapy clinic. It has a hipped roof with modern concrete tiles and four brick stacks.
The front and side elevations are rendered. The construction of 2 shops in front of the lower storey of the façade has obscured any original features at that level. Above that are two tiers of flat-headed glazing bar sashes, the upper tier shorter than the tier below. The rear elevation is red brick with three tiers of windows. The exposed side elevation has three asymmetrical upper windows. Internally an original doorway survives under the west bay of windows. It has paired doors with margin lights which have etched glass and coloured glass in the angles. There is a broad rectangular margin light above. An external central passage divides the building and the gabled red brick building with pilasters behind may represent the former Sunday School. It is now used as a house. It is described in the listed building description as an eighteenth century structure with a mid-nineteenth century ground floor brick extension. For the full description and the legal address of this listed building please refer to the appropriate List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.{1}{2}{3}{4}


<1> Lincolnshire County Council, 2004-2009, GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels, 65622 (Digital archive). SLI9638.


<2> Lincolnshire County Council, 2009, Lincolnshire Archives - Methodist Records, Sleaford, Northgate Chapel (Internet Website). SLI12339.


<3> Fawcett, T., 1902, A History of the Free Churches of Sleaford from 1662 to 1902, pages 10-16 (Bibliographic reference). SLI12354.


<4> Department of the Environment, 1974, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 1\167 (Index). SLI9678.

Monument Types

  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Demolished, Post Medieval - 1802 AD to 1823 AD)
  • SUNDAY SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1823 AD to 1848 AD)
  • WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1823 AD to 1848 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1848 AD to 1990 AD?)
  • CLINIC (Modern - 1990 AD? to 2050 AD)

Associated Events

  • Site visit to Nos. 40 and 42 Westgate, Sleaford
  • Site visit to former nonconformist chapel, Westgate, Sleaford

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Conservation Area

Sources and further reading

<1>Digital archive: Lincolnshire County Council. 2004-2009. GIS layer depicting locations and survival of nonconformist chapels. 65622.
<2>Internet Website: Lincolnshire County Council. 2009. Lincolnshire Archives - Methodist Records. http://microsites.lincolnshire.gov.uk/archives/. Sleaford, Northgate Chapel.
<3>Bibliographic reference: Fawcett, T.. 1902. A History of the Free Churches of Sleaford from 1662 to 1902. pages 10-16.
<4>Index: Department of the Environment. 1974. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Sleaford. 1\167.