HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Nottinghamshire HER Result
Nottinghamshire HERPrintable version | About Nottinghamshire HER

For important guidance on the use of this record, please click here

Provide feedback for this record

Name:Greasley Castle
HER Number:M2285
Type of record:Building
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Summary - not yet available

Monument Types

  • FORTIFIED MANOR HOUSE (c.1341, Medieval to Modern - 1341 AD to 2000 AD)

Associated Events

  • Building Survey of Greasley Castle : East Midlands Earthworks Project

Protected Status

  • Listed Building (II) 5.8.1: REMAINS OF GREASLEY CASTLE
  • Scheduled Monument 42: Greasley Castle

Full description

Remains of a fortified manor house once in the possession of the de Cantelupe family, for which Nicholas de Cantelupe obtained a licence to crenelate in 1339. The only remains above ground are built into farm buildings, include square headed decorated window and a pointed door arch. Excavations in 1933 suggested that the house was surrounded by a curtain wall with round towers at each corner. (3)
The "castle" is surrounded by extensive earthworks: a rectangular rampart and ditch surrounding the "castle" and degenerating with the rising ground into a ditch alone, and partly obliterated by the modern road ... Remains of the moat of the manor house, running from the NW to the NE corners of the present farm buildings. (4)
A large rectangular enclosure of bank and ditch at one time extending on its NW side into the churchyard. This has been filled within the St Marys burial area, but clearly extends S to turn SE to include 8 rectangular fishponds, before turning NE to the present major highway. The earthworks are clearly of several phases and incorporate the rectangular moated and walled moat site. These central features are probably earlier with an extension of earthworks to the W and S-SE. The SW area contains straight ridge and furrow which runs downhill, NE-SW. The dairy pasture includes the base of a rounded tower … (contd, but unintelligible). (5)
Detailed site description - see parish file. (6)
Remains of castle. c.1341. (7)
See M8287 for fish ponds, M2334 for church, M2391 for deserted village.
Grid ref centred.


Data Held (Document). SNT2647.

OS card, Parish File


Data Held: Aerial Photograph (Aerial photograph). SNT2645.

CUCAP PR43


Listed buildings slides, (Photograph). SNT2648.


<1> VCH, 1906, Notts, p 311 (Published document). SNT1383.


<2> Thoroton Society, 1955, TTS, pp 98-9 (Published document). SNT369.


<3> Thoroton Society, 1934, TTS, pp 34-53 (Published document). SNT352.


<4> DOE, AM7 - undated, no author (Unpublished document). SNT52.


<5> Hart CR, 1984, AM107 (Unpublished document). SNT754.


<6> Woodhouse WC, 1959, Pers Comm (Personal comment). SNT1437.


<7> CUCAP, Air photos (Aerial photograph). SNT594.

Other Refs: PR43


<8> Thoroton Society, 1995, TTS, p 70-1 (Published document). SNT1525.


<9> Thoroton Society, 1907, TTS, p 41 (Published document). SNT334.


<10> Pevsner N, 1979, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire 2nd ed., p 135 (Monograph). SNT4.

Related records

L8908Parent of: Greasley Castle - Curtain wall with round towers (Element)
M8287Parent of: Greasley Castle - fish ponds (Monument)
L8907Parent of: Greasley Castle - moat (Element)
L8909Parent of: Greasley Castle - rampart and ditch earthworks (Element)
L2285Parent of: Greasley Castle - remaining pieces of manor house (Element)
L8910Parent of: Greasley Castle - ridge and furrow (Element)

Images

No image caption available  © Nottinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Nottinghamshire County Council

No image caption available  © Nottinghamshire County Council

No image caption available © Nottinghamshire County Council