HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > West Berkshire HER Result
West Berkshire HERPrintable version | About West Berkshire HER | Visit West Berkshire HER online...

West Berkshire HER logo

The Historic Environment Record is the primary index about the physical remains of past human activity in the unitary authority of West Berkshire. Not all records are published on the Heritage Gateway. Please read the important guidance on the use of the West Berkshire HER data.


This site is designated as being of national importance and is afforded additional protection. Consult the West Berkshire archaeology service if more information or advice is needed.



HER Number MWB5805
Record Type Monument
Name ALDERMASTON LOCK (Lock 95)
Grid Reference SU 600 671
Map Sheet SU66NW
Parish Aldermaston, West Berkshire
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Summary

Scheduled Monument 192, also Grade II Listed Building. Lock built between 1718 and 1723, originally turf sided; rebuilt with brick in 1978.

Associated Legal Designations or Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument 1006970: ALDERMASTON LOCK
  • Listed Building (II) 1319515: ALDERMASTON LOCK AT SU 601671

Other Statuses and Cross-References

  • Berkshire SMR No. (pre 2000): 05050.26.000
  • National Monuments Record No.: SU 66 NW 31
    SU 6010 6714

Monument Types

  • CANAL LOCK (18th century to 19th century - 1718 AD to 1831 AD)

Full Description

SM 192, CONSTRUCTED BETWEEN 1718 AND 1723. WAS ORIGINALLY TURF SIDED. WIDENED IN 1767 TO TAKE NEWBURY BARGES. NARROWED IN 1831 TO STANDARDISE K&A. WAS STILL TURFSIDED WITH GWR RAIL AND SLEEPER SIDES UNTIL RECENTLY, THEN REBUILT WITH BRICK IN ELEVEN BAYS IN 1978

ONE OF SEVEN TURF-SIDED LOCKS ON THE KENNET NAVIGATION CANAL. SLOPING SIDES. PLANKING HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH BRICKWORK IN 11 BAYS AT EITHER END. TWO SETS OF DOUBLE WOODEN GATES, ALL WITH MECHANICAL GATE PADDLE GEARING. UPPER GATES IN POOR CONDITION. LOWER GATES MISSING. (Reported when?)

The brick sided walls of this lock are scalloped in a succession of shallow "C" shapes, instead of being flat sided like the normal lock. Restored 1985 <1><11>.

This lock was also called Brewhouse Lock because of the presence of Strange's Brewery to the south of it; this brewery was demolished in the 20th century.

Sources and further reading

<01>Spence, K. 1986. Restoring Our Grandest Canal. P9. [Article in serial / SWB13477]
<02>Historic England (previously English Heritage). Schedule of Monuments. [Unpublished document / SWB12738]
<03>Dalby, L J. 1973. The Kennet Navigation. [Unpublished document / SWB14602]
<04>Clew, K R. 1973. The Kennet & Avon Canal. [Monograph / SWB6828]
<05>Clew, K R & The Kennet & Avon Canal Trust Ltd. 1974. The Kennet & Avon Canal Guide. Number One - Historical Background. [Unpublished document / SWB14604]
<06>Pattray Publications. 1974. Map of the Kennet & Avon Canal - Reading to Hungerford. One inch to the mile. Lock No 95. [Map / SWB14605]
<07>The Kennet & Avon Canal Trust Ltd. 1980. The Kennet & Avon Canal in Pictures - from Bath to Reading. Photo. [Monograph / SWB14607]
<08>The Kennet & Avon Canal Trust Ltd. 1990. The Kennet & Avon Canal (Pictorial Journey). Photo. [Monograph / SWB14608]
<09>Babtie?. 1990s. Interpretation Board at Aldermaston Lock. [Graphic material / SWB147430]
<10>Tyack, G, Bradley, S and Pevsner, N. 2010. The Buildings of England (Berkshire). p421. [Monograph / SWB147855]
<11>Lindley-Jones, P. 2002. Restoring the Kennet & Avon Canal. p81-3. [Monograph / SWB147997]
<12>Berry, W. 2009. The Kennet and Avon Navigation - A History. [Monograph / SWB147998]

Related Monuments

MWB5803ALDERMASTON WHARF - general area (Monument)
MWB5758KENNET & AVON CANAL - General record (Monument)

Associated Excavations and Fieldwork

EWB272WBHS Monitoring 2001-2002