HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Suffolk HER Result
Suffolk HERPrintable version | About Suffolk HER | Visit Suffolk HER online...

Suffolk HER Number (Pref. Ref.):LSY 001
Unique number (MonUID):MSF5800
Type of Record:Monument
Parish:LINDSEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK
NGR:TL 980 441

Summary

Lindsey Castle or the Mounts, also apparently known as Boar Hills early this century (S1).

Monument Types

  • CASTLE (12th century to 13th century - 1101 AD to 1200 AD)
  • MOTTE AND BAILEY (12th century to 13th century - 1101 AD to 1200 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POTTERY (IPS: Early Medieval to 12th century - 1001 AD to 1154 AD)

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Ancient Monument SF49: LINDSEY CASTLE

Description

Lindsey Castle or the Mounts, also apparently known as Boar Hills early this century (S1). Scheduled
Motte and bailey castle covering about 5 acres. Roughly pentagonal bailey with a massive ditch and bank, bisected by a stream. The ditch is 3.5m wide and 2.7m deep, the bank is 2.5m high. At the S end of the bailey is a large low motte, 3.6m high, covering about half an acre. The stream runs along the E side of the motte, at the N end of the bailey the stream was dammed up to form a pond, now silted up. There is a causewayed entrance on the W side (S2).
C11-C12 unglazed sherds with square rims and sagging bases found in the side of the moat on the N side of mound, 1953 (S3). Much early roof-tiling is said to have been found, but none visible in 1981. The mound was then tree covered, mostly hawthorn with grass and nettle cover. There appeared to be a trench dug in the NE corner. The bailey was covered by rough grass and clumps of nettles, grazed by cattle, banks mostly tree covered (S4). Castle held by Adam de Cockfield, one of the knights of St Edmund, in the time of King Stephen (S5). This castle is sometimes identified with 'the great messuage, where the hall of Adam the first of Cockfield was once situated, together with a wooden tower/belfry (berefrido ligneo) seven score feet high' mentioned by William of Diss (late C12)(S5). However the context of this is vague and the tower could have been at Cockfield or in Bury St Edmunds.
In 1204 Thomas de Burgh (husband of Nesta de Cockfield) had a licence to fortify his house at "Leleshay" (Linsey)(S6).
See also LYS 002 & 003.

Sources

[S1](No record type): Redstone V B, Lindsey Castle and Chapel, PSIA 13, pt 2, 243-249, photo. (SSF17542)
[M1]Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: ALN6 ALN7; CUCAP BEQ 34 & 36. (SSF50031)
[R1](No record type): Dickinson P G M. Suffolk, The Little Guides, 1957, 239. (SSF5151)
[M2](No record type): SAM file:. (SSF42951)
[S2]Index: OS. OS Card. OS card, TL94SE22, surveyed 1970. (SSF50032)
[S3]Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG card, 1953-. (SSF50070)
[S4]Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information. (SSF5224)
[S5](No record type): Butler H E (ed), The Chronicles of Jocelin of Brakelond, 1949, 138 & 139. (SSF3002)
[S6](No record type): Liberatae Roll; Fine Roll 3 Hen III. (SSF10552)
[S7](No record type): Renn D F, Norman Castles in Britain, 1968, 223. (SSF17579)
[S8](No record type): SAU, APs ALN 6, ALN 7. (SSF18890)
[S9]Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs, BEQ 34 & 36, January 1971. (SSF50031)
[S10]Photograph: OS. Air Photograph - OS. 71 177 245, 1971. (SSF50113)
[S11]Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, TL 980 441, JGF 14-16, 20 July 1992. (SSF50106)

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.