About the Heritage Gateway
The Heritage Gateway is managed by Historic England in partnership with ALGAO and IHBC. The website provides access to local and national records on the historic environment including the following resources:
- Local authority records from approximately 60% of England's Historic Environment Records (HERs)
- National records from the National Heritage List for England including listed buildings and scheduled monuments
- The National Record of the Historic Environment (PastScape)
- Records from the National Trust Historic Buildings Sites and Monuments Record
- Photographs of listed buildings (Images of England)
- Historic photographs of England (Viewfinder)
- The NMR Excavation Index
- Information of historic parks, gardens and historic landscapes (Parks & Gardens UK)
- Designation Decision Records
You can cross search all the above resources on this website, including by using the map. Not all resources can display their results on the map, but all can be viewed in the results list. More local and national resources continue to be added to the website on a regular basis, so keep checking for updates.
For a full list of local authority HERs, and to see which ones you can search on this website visit our Historic Environment Records page.