About the Heritage Gateway
The Heritage Gateway is managed by English Heritage in partnership with ALGAO and IHBC. The website provides access to local and national records on the historic environment including the following resources:
- Local records from over 50% of England's Historic Environment Records (HERs)
- National records from the National Heritage List for England including listed buildings and scheduled monuments
- The National Record of the Historic Environment (PastScape)
- Records from the National Trust Historic Buildings Sites and Monuments Record
- Photographs of listed buildings (Images of England)
- Historic photographs of England (Viewfinder)
- The NMR Excavation Index
- Information of historic parks, gardens and historic landscapes (Parks & Gardens UK)
- Designation Decision Records
Users can cross search all the above resources on the Heritage Gateway. More local and national resources continue to be added to the website on a regular basis.
For a full list of HERs and information about whether they are searchable on the website, visit the Historic Environment Records page.
The buildings and sites listed in the results of your search are for heritage management purposes. If you are looking for an English Heritage property to visit, please visit our ‘Days Out’ page.
You can now view results of your search against Ordnance Survey mapping for many of the resources on the website. You can also search for designation decision records, including not listed and de-listed records recorded since November 2012.
More local records continue to be added to the map – please check the website regularly to find out which ones are available.
Please tell us what you think about the website
We would value your feedback on the Heritage Gateway website and how you use it. We will be using your feedback to inform future improvements to the website.
If you have any questions about the Heritage Gateway, please contact us.