HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWER ON ST MICHAELS HILL

List Entry Number: 1057255

Location

TOWER ON ST MICHAELS HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset
District: South Somerset
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Montacute

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 263542


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4614 MONTACUTE CP 8/87 Tower on St. Michaels Hill 19.4.61 - II Folly, used as signal tower. 1760. Ham stone ashlar, flat stone top. Circular on plan, about 3m diameter, and about 12m tall: chamfered flat- arched doorway on east side, and 3 slit-light windows at various levels on north-west, south and south-east sectors, illuminating the internal newel stone staircase; at the crown there is a string course, above which the walls have a marked batter into the flat top: on the east face above the string is a cantilevered platform with doorway at head of stairs, and an external stair to the flat top, without any surviving guard rails. There is a Greek inscription over the doorway and the initials 'K.P. 1760' (but Edward Phelips was the likely builder). The hill was the site of a Norman Castle, mostly demolished to build the Priory of Montacute: St. Michael's Chapel, first recorded 1102, survived at least until the mid C17; its site now occupied by the tower, which was used as a signal tower to Swayne Harbin at Newton Surmaville (using the Round House, Item 2/26 Barwick C.P., q.v) and Mr. Goodford, of Chilton Cantelo. Scheduled Ancient Monument (Somerset County No 101). (Nares S, Country Life, 5th September, 1952, p679).

Listing NGR: ST4934816977


Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 5 September, (1952), 679

Map

National Grid Reference: ST 49348 16977


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2019 at 11:11:55.