HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List Entry Number: 1092438



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire
District: Basingstoke and Deane
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Tadley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-May-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 138300

Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SU 55 NE TADLEY CHURCH ROAD 9/16 Church of St Peter


Mainly C17 and C18 but of earlier origin, restored 1877. Aisless nave and chancel, west tower, south porch. Tile roofing, with a small dormer. The chancel has brick walling in Flemish bond with blue headers, plinth, fillets at eaves and verge, a C19, 3-light wooden 'Perpendicular' east window and a small Victorian north-side lancet. The nave is roughcast, with coupled round-arched windows, a plain arched doorway (now filled) on the north, and a larger arched doorway into the porch. The tower has a recent pyramid roof in tiling, red brick walling in English bond, diagonal stepped buttresses, rectangular windows, plinth, and a stone plaque incised 1685. The porch has a Tudor wooden doorframe and 2 old eaves beams within, but is now walled in brickwork (roughcast on the outside); there are 4 steps downward to the church floor level. Within, there is a C17 Communion rail, a panelled pulpit dated 1650 with a panelled tester, oak pews (C17), a C17 west gallery of heavy timbering with a front rail of balusters (cut short). The octagonal font is Victorian; there is a small brass wall plaque recording a gift by Thomas Sympson in 1674. The thick nave walls and restored lancet on the north side suggest a structure of medieval origin, although this was a chapelry of Overton until the C19.

Listing NGR: SU5950461038

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details


National Grid Reference: SU 59785 59981

© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jun-2024 at 03:22:02.