HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > HE PastScape Result
View this record on HE PastScapePrintable version | About HE PastScape | Visit HE PastScape online...

Church Of All Saints
County: Norfolk Graham Brown LRPS
Copyright:  Graham Brown LRPS
District: KING'S LYNN AND WEST NORFOLK
Parish: EAST WINCH
Monument Number: ( TF 61 NE 54 )
EARLY MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1001 - 1066
MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1066 - 1170
MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1301 - 1332
MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1416 - 1428
POST MEDIEVAL   CHURCH   1790 - 1810
POST MEDIEVAL   PARISH CHURCH   1878 - 1878
Parish Church consisting of a west tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, south porch, south chapel (rebuilt as an organ chamber) and a north chapel, which has been demolished. Built of carstone rubble, part rendered, with a slate roof. the nave is possible of Saxon or Saxo-Norman origin. Later Norman work in the building is evidenced by the pillar-piscina and re-used fragments. Chapels each side of the chancel were founded in the early 14th century, at which time the nave had acquired aisles. Between 1416 and 1428 the nave and aisles were rebuilt except for the west walls, the tower recased, the north chapel demolished and the south chapel altered, the chancel shortened on the west and possibly lenghtened to the east, and probably the porch added. Much of this seems to have been the work of William Rose. Periods of decay are noted in the 17th, 18th and mid 19th centuries; around 1800 the south chapel was demolished.The church was restored in 1878 by Sir Gilbert Scott.

Sources