HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List Entry Number: 1138307



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: Camelford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68517

Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CAMELFORD MARKET PLACE, Camelford SX 1083 -1183 8/75 Camelford Methodist Church - GV II

Methodist chapel. 1837 interior remodelled in 1980s. Stone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof with hipped ends and gable end to front, to right of centre. Plan: deep rectangular plan. Original chapel possibly comprised main range near centre which is set slightly forward and has a gable end to the road. Probably extended to right with small room over alleyway and to left to accommodate Sunday School. Exterior : Front elevation with gable end of possible earlier range to right of centre; stone rubble ramp with iron railings up to entrance in gable end with C20 plank double doors in partly blocked 2-centred arched opening and wrought-iron grates to basement windows on right and left. 2 tall 2-light lancet windows above with intersecting glazing bars and niche in gable end. To left, blocked door and two 2- light rectangular openings with tall rectangular window and 2-light lancet window above. To right, segmental rusticated granite arch to alley with 2-light window above. Interior remodelled in 1980s. The chapel when opened in 1837 was described by the West Briton as 'a neat building and an ornament to the town'. Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, 1963. Stell, C RCHM unpublished inventory of non-conformist.

Listing NGR: SX1061183763

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Shaw, T, Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, (1963)
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)
'The West Briton' in The West Briton, (1837)


National Grid Reference: SX 10611 83763

© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2022 at 02:31:34.