HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Cleeve Hall

Hob Uid: 117608
Location :
Gloucestershire
Tewkesbury
Bishop's Cleeve
Grid Ref : SO9568027630
Summary : Former residence of the Bishop of Worcester built in the mid-late 13th century and altered in 1667 by Bishop Nicholas of Gloucester. The original house consisted of a stone built hall with two storey wings projecting on both sides. Nothing remains of the main range, the service wing retains its old walling in the east half though the back part of the wing has been rebuilt. The form of the solar wing survives intact, but there are very few early features. Alterations were carried out in the 18th century and most of the house was refenestrated in the 19th century. The building had been converted into offices by 1987.
More information : (SO 95682763) Chapel (NR)
Rectory (NAT) (1667) (1)

The rectory was extensively altered in 1667, but retains some
13th century work. It had a chapel in the 14th century, and was
originally the manor-house (2) or palace of the Bishops of
Worcester (3) (though not included by Rait in his "English
Episcopal Palaces", 1911). Grade 2*. (2-3)

The rectory shows no external traces of 13th c work, nor does the chapel, which is now merely a room of the rectory. (4)

SO 9527 BISHOP'S CLEEVE A435
(east side)

16/29 Cleeve Hall
(formerly listed as The Rectory)
4.7.60

GV II*

Former residence of the Bishop of Worcester, now offices. Built
c1250, altered c1667 by Bishop Nicholson of Gloucester as indicated by datestone on porch, further alterations C18 and 1970s. Coursed squared and dressed limestone; stone slate roof; rendered stacks on ashlar stumps. Formerly 'H'-shaped plan now with C17 infill between the solar and service cross wings on the east front. C20 flat-roofed extensions to rear, not of special interest. Two storeys and attic. Almost symmetrical entrance front with gable of former solar and service wing to right and left respectively. Corner buttress with offsets to the right-hand corner. Single 2-light double-chamfered stone-mullioned casement with stopped hood to the ground floor of the left-hand gable; C18 Venetian window with Gothick glazing above, matching window to the first floor of the right-hand gable with a 12-pane sash below. C17 infill between the gables; cross window with leaded panes and a projecting moulded lintel on brackets to the left of the porch; 2 similar windows to the first floor flanking the porch; two 12-pane sashes with dressed stone surrounds to the right of the porch. Hipped 2-storey porch with painted datestone with date 1667 between the two floors and a round-headed entrance with moulded arch and imposts flanked by Ionic pilasters with plain frieze above. Double C19 wrought iron gates within the opening. Two-light casement with leaded panes, early fastening and projecting moulded lintel on brackets above; traces of painted sundial upper right. C17 door within the porch made from two planks with fillets imitating pilasters to round-headed arches with keystones; heavy moulded frame. Right-hand return: two 12-pane sashes with plain stone architraves; double glazed door with horizontal glazing bars far right. Rear elevation with gable projecting forwards to the left with a 4-pane sash and a late C18-mid Cl9 two-light casement with leaded panes to the ground floor; pointed window with Gothic glazing and a moulded surround, partly infilled at the bottom. Central projecting stairs turret with C20 buttress; early 2-light casement with leaded panes towards the top; dressed stone surround probably formerly for a sash window now filled with C20 frosted glass to the right-hand return. Range parallel to the main body projects forwards from the south-west corner. Two C20 cross windows with steel casements to the ground floor; central flat-roofed dormer with two 2-light steel casements with leaded panes; small single light, now blocked upper left. Axial stacks with moulded cappings. Lateral stack to the service range. Flat gable-end coping with roll-cross saddles, one retaining a ball finial. Interior: former hall now subdivided but retains a stone screen with three pointed chamfered stone arches which would formerly have lead to the kitchen, buttery and pantry. The central arch is wider; a fourth to the west is blocked by a C20 glazed door. At the upper end of the hall, visible from the solar cross wing, the upper part ofa doorway with a 2-centred arch and a segmental-pointed rere-arch ndicates there was once an internal stair at the north-west corner of the hall opening into the solar. The original medieval roof of the solar cross wing with curved-braced cambered collar beams is reputed to survive above the present coved ceiling of the solar cross wing. Moulded intersecting beams possibly C16 or earlier under the solar. C17 dog-leg staircase with turned balusters and ball finials reaching from the ground floor to the attic. Large C18 classical style mural painting in an alcove on the first landing. C18 ireplace flanked by Roman Doric columns and enriched cornucopias facing the buttery screen. Regency fireplace and doorcases in the room behind. The walls and coved ceiling of the front room of the solar wing are covered with a well preserved mural painting of 1810 depicting rural scenes and houses connected with the Townsend family. Some Regency painted and stained glass including depiction of the Crucifixion in the Venetian window. (5)

"..the former rectory, now Cleeve Hall and the headquarters of the Old Acre group of companies". Includes a photograph taken in 1890 when the building was a rectory. (6)

A second view of the house, then a rectory, taken in 1890. (7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1923
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : A history of the county of Gloucester, volume 8
Source details :
Page(s) : 20
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (1990/11A June 1948) 5
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3a
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Arch J 105 1950 Supplement (M E Wood)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ANK 23-DEC-68
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : District of Tewkesbury, 04/12/1987
Page(s) : 22-Mar
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Bishop's Cleeve and Winchcombe in old photographs
Source details :
Page(s) : 19
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Around Bishop's Cleeve and Winchcombe in old photographs
Source details :
Page(s) : 103
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Built mid-late C13th
Monument End Date : 1299
Monument Start Date : 1233
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Refurbished 1667
Monument End Date : 1667
Monument Start Date : 1667
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered C18th
Monument End Date : 1799
Monument Start Date : 1700
Monument Type : Bishops Palace
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Refenestrated C19th
Monument End Date : 1899
Monument Start Date : 1800
Monument Type : Vicarage
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Change of use by 1987
Monument End Date : 1987
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Office
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : NBR Index Number
External Cross Reference Number : 29891
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 135126
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : SMR Number (Gloucestershire)
External Cross Reference Number : 5390
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SO 92 NE 3
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON SO 92 NE 3
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1968-12-23
End Date : 1968-12-23
Associated Activities : Primary, CLEEVE HALL
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1995-01-01
End Date : 1995-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, INVESTIGATION BY RCHME/EH ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Activity type : ARCHITECTURAL SURVEY
Start Date : 1995-11-14
End Date : 1995-11-14
Associated Activities : Primary, CLEEVE HALL
Activity type : EVALUATION
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31
Associated Activities : Primary, CLEEVE HALL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1997-01-01
End Date : 1997-12-31