HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BISHOP AUCKLAND METHODIST CHURCH

List Entry Number: 1209024

Location

BISHOP AUCKLAND METHODIST CHURCH, COCKTON HILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: 
District: County Durham
District Type: Unitary Authority
Parish: Bishop Auckland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-May-1994

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Jul-1995


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 385635


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOP AUCKLAND

NZ22NW COCKTON HILL ROAD 634-1/5/21 (East side) Central Methodist Church

GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Church with hall attached. 1903. By TE Davidson of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. MATERIALS: rock-faced sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; slate roof with stone gable copings, red terracotta ridge and stone spire. PLAN: choir with north organ chamber, chapel with transepts, aisles, west vestibule and north-west tower. Hall at south. Linking passage with north vestry and south schoolroom. Early English style. EXTERIOR: all windows ashlar surrounds and mullions. Choir has tall 3-light window with plate tracery in pointed arch under low gable. Gabled transepts have paired lancets. Similar lights in clerestory, 2-light square headed windows in pent aisles. West elevation has 3 central lancets below central tall pointed chamfered arch with plate tracery to 4 lancet lights below 6-foil and roundels; buttresses define flanking entrance bays and rise through gable peak, inner ones gabled and outer with spirelets. Entrances have chamfered pointed arched surrounds with dripmoulds to boarded double doors with elaborate hinges. Lancets over doors. Tower of 2 high stages has angle buttresses, paired lancets to first stage and tall 2-light window to second. Gutter cornice with angle spouts, ashlar parapet with coped angle blocks. Tall octagonal spire has 4 lucarnes on parapet. South-west vestibule similar to first tower stage has parapet. Link to hall has lancets flanking gabled porch. Hall has flowing tracery in paired 2-light west windows flanked by buttresses with spirelets rising through gable; lancets in outer bays. Porch on left return with schoolroom in aisle behind, right return aisle store and kitchen, rear schoolroom. INTERIOR of church painted plaster with ashlar arcades and dressings and wood gallery. Arcades have wide raised segmental arches on round piers with moulded capitals; choir arch has inner recessed chamfered arch on corbelled shafts. Boarded ceiling with 3 pierced vent roundels to queen post roof, moulded and arch-braced, on moulded stone corbels which rest alternately on clerestory sill string and on arcades. 6 panel doors throughout, at west with glass in top panels, vestry door in fluted architrave with fleur-de-lys finial. FITTINGS include curved arcaded communion rail on step; further step to altar. Panelled wood west gallery. Panelled pews with moulded ends and brass umbrella racks. Half glazed vestibule screens below gallery and to doors within vestibule, all with original glass. Vestibule terrazzo floor with flower motif. Windows mostly have rectangular quarries with panels of floral motifs; north aisle central window commemorates W H Hanflett 1857-1928, signed Abbott & Co., Lancaster. Same signature on other plainer windows and in south aisle window to members of the Curry family d.1905 and 1924, showing Christ with Children. INTERIOR of vestry shows marbled painted chimney piece with incised decoration on pilasters and lintel, and stucco ceiling cornice. Hall and other rooms have boarded dado with rail, much original detail including numbered coat hooks and cast iron radiators `Decorated Patent no. 280475'.

Listing NGR: NZ2096428977


Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

Map

National Grid Reference: NZ 20964 28977


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2022 at 07:17:50.