HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TEST MATCH HOTEL

List Entry Number: 1380283

Location

TEST MATCH HOTEL, GORDON SQUARE, GORDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire
District: Rushcliffe
District Type: District Authority
Parish: 

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-May-2000

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 480144


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST BRIDGEFORD

SK53NE GORDON SQUARE, GORDON ROAD 1849/1/10002 Test Match Hotel 04-MAY-00

II*



Public house. 1938 by A. C. Wheeler for Hansons Ltd of Kimberley. Fittings by Harris & Sheldon. Buff brick with stone portico and red brick plinth and window heads. Plain red tile roofs. Brick ridge and eaves stacks. PLAN. Two bars at front and, to left, former off-licence. Public bar behind the latter with separate entrance. At rear centre a large assembly room. EXTERIOR. Near symmetrical front elevation, the central part brought forward and with a prostyle flat-roofed portico with paired columns to the sides. Either side of the portico a 12 over 12 pane sash window. To the first floor 3, 8 over 8 pane sash windows with segmental heads and matching curvature to cills. On the left of the facade a wide bow shop window with small rectangular panes for the former off-licence and above, 2 ,8 over 8 pane sash windows. On the right of the facade 2 ,12 over 12 pane sashes to the ground floor and 2 ,8 over 8 pane sashes on the first floor. Hopper heads with crossed cricket bat emblems. Shallow plain parapet. Hipped roof with centre part slightly higher and breaking forward; in this latter part 2 , 8 over 8 pane sash windows with segmental heads.. Long range on the left return with sash windows of varying configurations. Ballroom/assembly room with large sash windows with semi-circular heads. INTERIOR. Front left-hand bar (lounge) entered through a revolving door. Opposite this a staircase first floor with bronze rail. Art Deco-style fireplace with mirror over and white marble surround flanked by sapele mahogany fluted columns. Fixed seating with Art Deco-detailed ends. Art Deco treatment also of the ceiling and its lighting. Bar counter modified and extended in late C20 to fill the space beneath the stair. Wall panelling of English ash. Walls decorated with panels of cricketing scenes and emblems. To right a further bar, (formerly a men-only smoke room, ) with lower ceiling and linked to the previous one by an opening widened in the late C20. Wall panelling similar to previous bar. At rear arch with semi-circular head and Art Deco detail to gentlemen?s toilet at rear above the entrance to which is 1930s lettering ?GENTLEMEN?. Public bar has a complete assemblage of 1930s work. Terrazzo flooring in bold geometrical patterns of yellow, grey, orange and black. Bar counter in 3 tiers of rectangular panels breaking forward as they rise. Simple shelving to bar back. Fire surround of slate blocks with angular detail. Assembly room with gently curved ceiling with moulded transverse ribs and spine. At the springing a moulded cornice with large projecting features above brackets containing up-lighting. Sprung maple floor. Bar counter and seating altered late C20. On first floor a cocktail lounge. Curved bar counter partly 1930s; canopy over late C20. In this room a fixed 1930s mirror engraved with a cocktail glass and bubbles. Contemporary ?LADIES? sign on landing. All the public toilets retain their 1930s tiling intact. A highly distinctive public house of the 1930's and an early example of public house 'theming'. This was the first public house licensed in West Bridgford in the twentieth century and much expense was undertaken to develop a high-quality, well-fitted establishment. The near- complete survival of the 1930s plan and accompanying fittings is now extremely rare. Source: West Bridgford Times & Echo, 4 Nov. 1938.

Listing NGR: SK5889837182


Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

Map

National Grid Reference: SK 58898 37182


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 08:52:36.