HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > The National Heritage List for England Result

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: War Memorial at Plumptree Way

List Entry Number: 1391721

Location

War Memorial at Plumptree Way, Nottingham Road

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire
District: Broxtowe
District Type: District Authority
Parish: Eastwood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Aug-2006

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.


Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 495784


Asset Groupings

This List entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.


List Entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1570/0/10015

EASTWOOD NOTTINGHAM ROAD War Memorial at Plumptree Way

04-AUG-06

II War memorial unveiled in March 1921. It was designed by a local company, Messrs Holbrook & Co, and built jointly by the Council and local tradesmen. The memorial is in the form of an obelisk and plinth sculpted in Italian marble and standing on a two stepped base of Whatstandwell (Derbyshire) stone.

The front of the obelisk has a carved wreath and the front of the plinth is carved with a crossed rifle, sword and standard and inscribed with "ERECTED IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF EASTWOOD, WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918, AND WORLD WAR 1939-1945.THE MEN WERE VERY GOOD UNTO US, AND WE WERE NOT HURT. THEY WERE A WALL UNTO US, BOTH BY NIGHT AND BY DAY.1 SAMUEL, CHAP 25, VERSES 15 & 16."

The other faces of the plinth are inscribed with the names of the dead from the two World Wars .The area around the memorial is laid with cobblestones .It is surrounded by a chain link fence and to its rear is a low brick wall. Originally dedicated to the town's dead of the First World War, the memorial was subsequently also dedicated to those who died in the Second World War.

The memorial ,including the cobblestones,was originally sited on a plot of land near to the Cemetery Chapel off Church Street (approximately 1 km away), but was moved to its present, more prominent, location in 1978.

Summary of Importance: War memorials have a strong historical and cultural significance on both local and national scales. This memorial, which was designed by Messrs Holbrook & Co and built jointly by the Council and local tradesmen, is a good example of an obelisk memorial. Unveiled in 1921, it was originally dedicated to the dead of the First World War and subsequently also dedicated to the dead of the Second World War. It is of sufficient merit to be listed at Grade II.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 October 2017.


Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 5 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/85741
War Memorials Register, accessed 24 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/38736

Map

National Grid Reference: SK 47066 46804


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 07:03:07.