HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record Result
Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment RecordPrintable version | About Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record | Visit Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record online...


A scheduled 11th-12th century Motte Castle is located 180m south west of Newington Bagpath, Kingscote.
County: Gloucestershire
District: COTSWOLD
Parish: KINGSCOTE
NGR: ST 81 94
Monument Number: 147
HER 147 DESCRIPTION:-
Scheduled Monument Description:-
The monument includes a motte castle situated on the summit of a steep slope overlooking Hay Bottom to the north and east, 180m south west of Newington Bagpath, in an area of the Cotswold Hills.
The motte, which is known as Newington Bagpath Castle Mound, has a mound composed of small stones. It has a maximum diameter of 40m and a maximum height of c1.5m. The mound has a flat top which supports a smaller mound 15m wide and c.0.5m high. In the northern area of the mound there is a quarry 10m wide and c1.2m deep.
The motte is surrounded on the north, south and west sides by a ditch from which material was quarried during its construction. The ditch varies in width from 5m in the north west to 6m in the south west and is c.1m-1.5m deep. The northern area of the ditch has been partially infilled and this is likely to be associated with nearby quarrying. The steep slope of the hill provides a natural defensive boundary on the eastern side of the monument.
The monument is one of two motte castles known to occur locally, strategically sited either side of Hay Bottom. {Source Work 2873.}
The castle stands on the crest of a steep scarp. “It rises 1.2m above ground level and is surrounded by a ditch 1.5m below, which fades out on the scarp side; overall diameter. 46m; indication of entrance ramp North To Mrs O'Neil, the shape of the top suggested a small Keep and forecourt. A pit dug in the centre of the top showed rubble & I thought broken edges of vaulting" {Source Work 862.}
The motte is largely as described by Lindley. The ramp across the ditch in North could be contemporary with quarrying on the summit and the steepened side of the ditch, West, possibly indicates the original bridging point. There is no evidence of any structures on the motte, nor is there any trace of a bailey. There is, however, a small rectangular building platform immediately N of the motte {Source Work 862.}
Extant mound visible on 1947 AP {Source Work 864.} A well defined motte {pers comm S Brown} AP cover {Source Work 3149.} from NE, {Source Work 3268.} from North - much shadow - not good. Isolated church also visible
{pers comm S Brown} Motte, adjacent isolated church visible on NMR APs {Source Works 2935, 2924, 3046.}
Moat on three sides, the Northeast side is defended by a steep scarp. The mound consists of small stones and clay on the exposed surface which was being eroded by animals. A hole has been dug near the summit (visited 1974) {Source Work 902.}
The sides of the motte mound are suffering considerable erosion, particularly on South side presumably simply as a result of sheep grazing and natural weathering. However, some recent human disturbance, in the form of a circular pit on the motte summit, was observed. The surface of the motte has obviously been considerably disturbed in the past and the site probably has a low excavation potential apart from the ditch.{Source Work 470.} Possible rubble foundations {Source Work 1859.}
AREA ASSESSMENT :-
No plough damage .{Source Work 470.}
AREA MANAGEMENT :-
High value & could do with conservation. .{Source Work 470.}

Monuments
MOTTE(MEDIEVAL)

Protection Status
SCHEDULED MONUMENT(1009160)

Sources and further reading
3149;CUAP;1964;Vol:0;
3268;CUAP;1965;Vol:0;
3636;Jackson MJ;1980;Vol:1;
148;Lindley ES;1962;Wotton-under-Edge: men and affairs of a Cotswold wool town;Vol:0;
362;Ordnance Survey;1946-1975;OS 1st series National Survey: 6 inch map;Vol:0;
305;Saville A;1980;Archaeological Sites in the Avon and Gloucestershire Cotswolds;Vol:0;
470;Saville A;1976;Vol:0;
488;Armstrong L;1987;Vol:0;
862;Ordnance Survey;unknown;Vol:0;
864;RAF;1947;Vol:0;
902;GADARG;1982;Vol:0;
1859;Rawes B;1977;GLEVENSIS;Vol:11;Page(s):39-41;
2873;English Heritage;various;Vol:0;
2935;CUAP;1975;Vol:0;
2924;RCHME;1975;Vol:0;
3046;RCHME;1976;Vol:0;

Related records
HER   7143     St Bartholemew's Church Newington Bagpath
HER   2930     A possible deserted medieval settlement is located at Newington Bagpath. There is no evidence for the settlement exept for an isolated church and motte (HER 7143 and 147), however, the building platforms may indicate a settlement or farmstead, Kingscote.

Source
Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record Archive