HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record Result
Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment RecordPrintable version | About Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record | Visit Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record online...


Post medieval settlement at High Woolaston.
County: Gloucestershire
District: FOREST OF DEAN
Parish: WOOLASTON
NGR: ST 57 99
Monument Number: 19984
HER 19984 DESCRIPTION:-
High Woolaston was regarded as a separate hamlet by c.1703 when it contained 20 families. Fragments of medieval pottery have been discovered in the valley south of High Woolaston farm, and the remains of a building on the site was levelled c.1960. Other foundations have been found in orchards near the farm, including those of a ruined cottage on the north side of the road. North of the 16th-17th century farmhouse, four cottages were converted into a single dwelling c.1960, and another indication of the former size of the hamlet is that in 1769 there was a blacksmiths shop. Some foundations in the orchard near the farm. In 1998 the orchard opposite the T-junction has far wall part of a deserted dwelling with both walls and doorway filled up with stone to make the wall. There is a further corner of a building left of entrance leading to the area marked on tithe map excerpt as offices. {Source Works 4600 & 894.}
2003 - This area was mapped at 1:10,000 scale as part of the English Heritage: Gloucestershire NMP project.
Earthworks visible on aerial photographs could be associated with former settlement in the vicinity. Fragments of boundaries around High Woolaston Farm could be remains former property plots or croft boundaries but could equally be relatively recent features. They are centred at ST 5786 9933, ST 5795 9929, ST 5783 9917 and ST 5760 9950. {Source Works 4249, 7549, 6880 and 7646.}
2019 - This monument was previously recorded within the Historic England National Record of the Historic Environment. That record is quoted below, and was formerly held within the AMIE database:
"ST 580996. Suggested site of deserted medieval village at High Woolaston.
(No earthworks visible on air photographs RAF/CPE/UK 1997/1275-6, 13.4.47). (1-2)
Possible parts of the deserted medieval settlement remains, in the vicinity of High Woolaston, are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs. The present village has two concentrations of buildings, by High Woolaston Farm and Edge Farm.
Earthworks visible on aerial photographs could be associated with former settlement in the vicinity. Fragments of boundaries around High Woolaston Farm could be remains former property plots or croft boundaries but could equally be relatively recent features. They are centred at ST 5786 9933, ST 5795 9929, ST 5783 9917 and ST 5760 9950. A forked hollow way, centred at ST 5764 9938, extends for 190m, continuing a lane to the west of the farm. There are at least three small quarries on the slopes to the south of the farm at ST 5777 9922 and ST 5772 9923. Ridge and furrow is situated on the periphery of the possible settlement remains to the east and west of the farm. Two blocks are centred at ST 5797 9916, one at ST 5755 9938 and one, now ploughed, at ST 5748 9960. The ridge and furrow is relatively straight and is probably Post Medieval and could be associated with former orchards, although none corresponds to that marked on the OS 1956 map.
It is possible that a system of ridge and furrow across the Picadilly Brook may also be associated with High Woolaston (see ST 59 NE 10, 80).
There is little on aerial photographs to suggest former property plots or boundaries around Edge Farm. There are some areas of possible Post Medieval ridge and furrow and associated boundaries to the north and east of the farm however some of the areas of ridge and furrow look more like land improvement or drainage rather than for arable planting. Some of the boundaries cut through the ridge and furrow. Four possible blocks of ridge and furrow extend over an area measuring 470m by 170m between ST 5799 9975 and ST 5827 9938. A single block is centred at ST 5803 9939. (3-5)" {Source Work 4249.}

Monuments
SETTLEMENT(MEDIEVALtoPOST MEDIEVAL)
BOUNDARY(MEDIEVALtoPOST MEDIEVAL)
CROFT(MEDIEVALtoPOST MEDIEVAL)
HOLLOW WAY(MEDIEVALtoPOST MEDIEVAL)
TOFT(MEDIEVALtoPOST MEDIEVAL)

Protection Status

Sources and further reading
4600;Webb A;1998;Vol:0;
894;Elrington CR & Herbert NM (Eds);1972;The Victoria History of the County of Gloucester;Vol:10;
4249;Historic England;Various;Vol:0;
7549;English Heritage;2003-4;The Forest of Dean and Cotswolds National Mapping Programme Project maps;
6880;RAF;1946;
7646;Meridian Airmaps Limited;1953;
735;Rawes B (Ed);1986;TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY;Vol:104;Page(s):231-247;
15250;Various;2003-4;
15387;Various;Various;Historic England Archive Files;
1999;Aston M & Viner L;1981;GLEVENSIS;Vol:15;Page(s):22-29;

Related records
HISTORIC ENGLAND AMIE RECORD;198719
HER   26494     A forked hollow way, west of High Woolaston Farm, Woolaston.
FOREST OF DEAN NMP PROJECT;1362224
HER   50826     Medieval and/or Post Medieval field system is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs near High Woolaston Farm.
NMR INDEX NUMBER;ST 59 NE 29
HER   5025     Possible site of medieval buildings, a possible deserted medieval settlement or a Norman motte, south of High Woolaston Farm, Woolaston.

Source
Gloucestershire County Council: Historic Environment Record Archive