HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

St Peters Church

Hob Uid: 20672
Location :
Northumberland
Bywell
Grid Ref : NZ0492661427
Summary : Mainly rebuilt in the 13th and 14th centuries, but with Saxon origins of the 7th or 8th centuries. There is clear evidence of Saxon work in the North wall of the nave and chancel, and the South chancel wall, and evidence of a former porticus adjoining the North wall of the nave/chancel junction. About the beginning of the 13th century the present chancel was erected. According to a statement in the Lanercost Chronicle the church was burnt in 1285. The tower was constructed c.1310 and a chantry chapel on the north side of the nave, also towards the beginning of the 14th century. The chapel on the south side of the church was originally a chantry dedicated to St John the Baptist and was founded in the latter half of the 13th century. Plan of nave, West tower, South aisle, South porch, north-East chapel, chancel, North vestry and South chancel chapel. According to Symeon of Durham, Ecgberht was consecrated Bishop of Lindisfarne at Bywell in 803, which suggests that it was a monastic foundation.
More information : [NZ 0492 6142] St Peter's Church [TU]. (1)

St Peter's Church formerly belonged to the Benedictine monastery of
Durham.

The oldest portion is the north wall of the nave with its original
windows, which cannot be later than the end of the 11th century.

About the beginning of the 13th century the present chancel was erected. According to a statement in the Lanercost Chronicle the
church was burnt in 1285. The tower was constructed c.1310 and a
chantry chapel on the north side of the nave, also towards the
beginning of the 14th century. The chapel on the south side of the
church was originally a chantry dedicated to St John the Baptist and
was founded in the latter half of the 13th century. (2)

A pre-Norman church extended westwards to the limit of the tower
and its foundations are visible north and west. This end of the
church was destroyed in the fire of 1285 which devastated the village
of Bywell.

Roman stones are built into the walls of the church. The north
chantry, built about 1350 by Ralph de Nevill was the parish school
till 1849. The church was restored in 1848-9 and 1873; the chancel
in 1876. (3)

Church in use. (4)

Condition unchanged. (5)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 6" 1919-47
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Northumb County History 6 1902 102-118 plan (Approx 1:250) illust (J C Hodgson)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Bywell and its Twin Churches 15th Edn 11-17 (Rev Cannon R E Holmes M.A. Vicar of Bywell St Peters 1930-48)
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F1 ASP 15-MAY-56
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : F2 RWE 18-FEB-66
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : Anglo-Saxon architecture : volume 1
Source details :
Page(s) : 122-6
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Medieval religious houses in England and Wales
Source details :
Page(s) : 469
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : Archaeologia Aeliana : or miscellaneous tracts relating to antiquity
Source details :
Page(s) : 167-74
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : 24, 1946

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Early Medieval
Display Date : Built circa 600-799
Monument End Date : 800
Monument Start Date : 601
Monument Type : Church, Monastery
Evidence : Extant Building, Conjectural Evidence
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Late C13 and 14 rebuild
Monument End Date : 1400
Monument Start Date : 1285
Monument Type : Church
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 239821
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Unified Designation System UID
External Cross Reference Number : 1044828
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : NZ 06 SW 20
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 06 SW 20
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1956-05-15
End Date : 1956-05-15
Associated Activities : Primary, FIELD OBSERVATION ON NZ 06 SW 20
Activity type : FIELD OBSERVATION (VISUAL ASSESSMENT)
Start Date : 1966-02-18
End Date : 1966-02-18
Associated Activities : Primary, ST PETER'S CHURCH, BYWELL
Activity type : WATCHING BRIEF
Start Date : 1994-01-01
End Date : 1994-12-31