HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Monument Number 39627

Hob Uid: 39627
Location :
Cumbria
South Lakeland
Lower Allithwaite
Grid Ref : SD3783078790
Summary : Gatehouse to Cartmel Priory, probably dating from the 14th century; it was used as a school from 1624 to 1790 and is now used as an exhibition hall.
More information : (SD 37837879) Gatehouse (NR) (NT) (1)

The Priory gatehouse built in the 14th century as the main entrance to Cartmel Priory was used as a grammar school in 1624. The gatehouse consists of a two-storeyed stone structure with plain two-centred arch and vaulted passage, opening north to south. In the north and south walls are windows with ogee-headed pairs of lights and several smaller windows. The lower part of the building has been converted into a shop. (2)(3) Pevsner mentions a 17th century stepped window in the gable side. Grade 2*. (2-4)

Cartmel Priory Gatehouse is now used as a local craft centre and shop. (5)

Priory gatehouse including east bay of gatehouse. Probably 14th century, now used as an exhibition hall, it was used as a school from 1624 to 1790. The gatehouse is the only surviving secular building from Cartmel Priory. Grade 2*. (6)

Former gatehouse of Cartmel Priory. After the dissolution of the priory in 1537, the gatehouse continued in use as a seat and courthouse of the manor until it was sold as a schoolhouse in 1624. The building passed into private ownership in 1790 and was used as a storehouse for many years. It was restored between 1920 and 1923 and now houses a small museum and exhibition hall. The gatehouse was given to the National Trust in 1946. Scheduling amended. (7)

Listed with plan and photo. (8)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date)
Source details : OS 25" 1970
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : The Victoria history of the county of Lancaster, volume 8
Source details : Victoria County History Lancashire Vol 8 1914 pp262, 264 Photo
Page(s) : 262 264
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 3
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : MHLG (Prov List) North Lonsdale RD Lancs Aug 1962 p86
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 4
Source : Lancashire, 2. The rural north
Source details : Pevsner N 1969 Buildings of England: North Lancashire p90
Page(s) : 90
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 5
Source : VIRTUAL CATALOGUE ENTRY TO SUPPORT NAR MIGRATION
Source details : Properties of National Trust 1978 p10
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 6
Source : List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest
Source details : DOE Listed Buildings Dist of South Lakeland Cumbria 15.2.89 p30
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 7
Source : Scheduled Monument Notification
Source details : EH Scheduling amendment, 03-SEP-2002
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 8
Source : The medieval fortified buildings of Cumbria : an illustrated gazetteer and research guide
Source details :
Page(s) : 370
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) : vol.29

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : C14
Monument End Date : 1399
Monument Start Date : 1300
Monument Type : Gatehouse
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Medieval
Display Date : Between 1537-1624
Monument End Date : 1624
Monument Start Date : 1537
Monument Type : Court House
Evidence : Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : 1624-1790
Monument End Date : 1790
Monument Start Date : 1624
Monument Type : School
Evidence : Extant Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : After 1790
Monument End Date :
Monument Start Date : 1791
Monument Type : Storehouse
Evidence : Extant Building, Documentary Evidence
Monument Period Name : 20th Century
Display Date : Opened in 1923
Monument End Date : 1923
Monument Start Date : 1923
Monument Type : Museum, Exhibition Hall
Evidence : Extant Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (County No.)
External Cross Reference Number : CU 304
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Scheduled Monument Legacy (National No.)
External Cross Reference Number : 34976
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : Listed Building List Entry Legacy Uid
External Cross Reference Number : 77006
External Cross Reference Notes :
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SD 37 NE 65
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Related Activities :