| Summary : A sports ground since 1854, Bramall Lane stadium was originally laid out as a cricket ground before it became a football ground in 1862. Though primarily a football ground, it later also served as a venue for bowls, tennis, cycling and athletics. In 1878, Bramall Lane staged the first recorded floodlit football match ever played, to an estimated crowd of 20,000. The ground staged England's first international played outside of London, against Scotland in 1883. Sheffield United became the resident football club in 1889. The designs for the main stand were by Archibald Leitch in 1902; his first commission outside Scotland. This was a particularly prestigious client for Leitch at the time, given that 'The Blades' won the League title in 1898 and the FA Cup the following year. Leitch gave Kilmarnock and Rangers, a Clyde Structural Iron Company, the contract for the building work. The main stand provided 3800 seats and 25 rows of terracing for 6000 people as well as a 60 seat roof top press box. It became the first stand in England to have electric lighting. Various stages of building work were carried out on the ground thereafter. During the late 1940s, a period of repair and rebuild were needed following damage from World War II. In the 1970s, the success of the club in the league prompted building additions. The cricket club only left the ground in 1973, which enabled the fourth side of the ground to be developed. In the 1990s, the ground was re-developed following the Taylor report however the core of Leitch's stand lasted until 1996 when it was completely replaced. |
More information : [SK 3530 8608] Football Ground [NAT] (1) Bramall Lane, home of Sheffield United F.C.. The sports ground itself has been in use since 1854, but no football took place until 1862 - up until then it was used by a Sheffield cricket club. In 1878 Bramall Lane staged the first recorded floodlit match ever played. Sheffield United, the cricket club's first resident football team, came into being in 1889. The Main Stand was built by Archibald Leitch at the turn of the century - it was probably his first commission outside Scotland. Cricket continued to be played regularly here too, until 1973 - in 1971 United had given the cricket club two years' notice to quit Bramall Lane. The ground is mentioned by Norman Yardley and JM Kilburn in 1952 in a series called `Homes of Sport'. (2)
Archibald Leitch's design included a mock Tudor gable for the John Street Stand. This was opened in 1902. In the early 1900s various work was undertaken to the ground. During the late 1940s and early 1950s repair work had to be carried out at the ground following damage during World War II. The ground's later periods of work have been during the 1970s due to success in the league and as recently as 1996 following the Taylor report. (3)
A sports ground since 1854, Bramall Lane stadium was originally laid out as a cricket ground before it became a football ground in 1862. Though primarily a football ground, it later also served as a venue for bowls, tennis, cycling and athletics. In 1878, Bramall Lane staged the first recorded floodlit football match ever played, to an estimated crowd of 20,000. The ground staged England's first international played outside of London, against Scotland in 1883. Sheffield United became the resident football club in 1889. The designs for the main stand were by Archibald Leitch in 1902; his first commission outside Scotland. This was a particularly prestigious client for Leitch at the time, given that 'The Blades' won the League title in 1898 and the FA Cup the following year. Leitch gave Kilmarnock and Rangers, a Clyde Structural Iron Company, the contract for the building work. The main stand provided 3800 seats and 25 rows of terracing for 6000 people as well as a 60 seat roof top press box. It became the first stand in England to have electric lighting. Various stages of building work were carried out on the ground thereafter. During the late 1940s, a period of repair and rebuild were needed following damage from World War II. In the 1970s, the success of the club in the league prompted building additions. The cricket club only left the ground in 1973, which enabled the fourth side of the ground to be developed. In the 1990s, the ground was re-developed following the Taylor report however the core of Leitch's stand lasted until 1996 when it was completely replaced. (1-5) |