HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service (WYAAS) Result
West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service (WYAAS)Printable version | About West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service (WYAAS) | Visit West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service (WYAAS) online...

Hatfeild House (Normanton Golf Club), Stanley
County: W.Yorks.
District: Wakefield
Parish: -
Monument Number: ( 7918 )
Hatfeild House was original built c.1600, for Gervase Hatfeild, however was greatly remodelled in 1768. The house was gutted in 1987 by a fire on New Years Day. Left in ruins for a while and then rebuilt by the owners of Normanton Golf Club c.1992 using existing shell (http://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Hatfeild-Hall.html - website viewd 13/11/2013). ------------------------------------- Visited by Wakefield Conservation Team in the 1970's/1980's. --------------------------- Hatfeild Hall is a Grade II listed building (List Entry No. 1313261). Its listing description is as follows: "Large house, later a hotel, now ruinous and disused. Built originally c.1600, remodelled c.1775 for J. Hatfeild Kaye. Ashlar front, the rest rendered. Welsh slate roof mainly collapsed. Of two storeys, five bays. Symmetrical front, the centre three bays breaking forward slightly under gable; 2-storey, 3-light canted bay windows to each side. Gothic-arched ground-floor openings including the central door, square-headed upper floor windows now with casements, all in raised surrounds. Sill bands. The central gable has a quartered shield with the words "SE QUOD AUDES". Three-gabled right return, the right end with an addition, the centre and left gables each having a quatrefoil in the apex. The left return is gabled at left and right ends. Interior: the left, front room is in the 17th-century style with panelling and an intricate plaster frieze of a merman whose arms are intertwined with the arms of a mermaid to each side, supported by wyverns. The right, front room has a good delicate Adam-style plaster ceiling with roundels and panels, figures and trophies. The centre rose is gone. The house is in a ruinous state following a fire of the 1980s." (Text edited from the National Heritage List of England, written 1983) ------------------------------------- Hatfeild House was the 17th century seat of the Hatfeild family and was built by Gervase Hatfeild on the site of Woodhall; dates of 1598 and 1608 on shields may reflect the start and finish dates of the rebuilding. The house was remodelled in the 18th century in the Gothick style with the addition of pointed windows, battlements and slim, elongated pinnacles (Pevsner, 1959: 535). The house was sold in 1897 to Herbert Beaumont, whose son later sold the house to the West Riding County Council in 1921 for use as a hospital. By 1998 the house was in ruins and the estate was covered in pit-workings (Waterson and Meadows, 1998: 43). ------------------------ The building is annotated West Riding Mental Hospital on the 1948 OS map. ................ In May 1978 Colum Giles (RCHME/WYAS) visited the hall as part of his research for the West Yorkshire Rural Houses Survey. A copy of his site visit notes, and photographs, are on file in West Yorkshire HER. Although he notes that some original 17th-century features do still survive (namely a plaster frieze and parts of the roof in the 'hall'range'), he describes the hall as a 'stone and brick house of various periods, dominiated by a through "Gothic" reconstruction of 1768' (Giles, 1978). ------------------------ On New Year's Day in 1987 Hatfeild Hall suffered an arson attack. In a letter, written Feb 2003 (responding to planning application 02/99/34482/AG), Peter Thornborrow (WYAAS) mentions that he visited the site, accompanied by Wakefield Council's the Senior Conservation Officer and took a number of photographs of the damage. Shortly afterwards it was arranged for the existing 17th-century plaster frieze decorated with Neptune, mermaids and Wyverns, and bearing the initial "GH" (standing for Gervase Hatfield) and the date "1608" to be removed by an expert museum office and conservator of Calderdale Museum's Service, who also removed the oak panelling that clad the walls of the building. They were removed because the roof above that part of the building had lost its covering, due to the fire, and was open to the elements, and because some of the fireplaces and doors were stolen from the building shortly after it was boarded up. These items were initially removed to a store in Newton Hill, to the rear of the Planning Department's office (Thornborrow, 2003). ------- A copy of the above information including photographs is held on file at the offices of West Yorkshire Archaeology Advisory Service (WYAAS).

Sources
Webpage
http://www.stanleyhistoryonline.com/Hatfeild-Hall.html (website viewd 13/11/2013)
Desc.text
Wakefield Council. Undated, probably 1970's-1980's. Listed Building record prepared by Wakefield Council conservation team.
Publication
Pevsner, N.,1959. The Buildings of England: Yorkshire, the West Riding. Penguin Books, England.
Publication
Waterson, E. and P. Meadows, 1998. Lost Houses of the West Riding. Jill Raines, York
Map
OS, (6 inches to 1 mile) 1st Edition, 1851. Map sheet 233
List
Historic England 'Hatfield Hall', National Heritage List of England (date first listed 01/06/1983)
Desc.text
Giles, C. (RCHME), 1978. 'Hatfield Hall, Stanley'
Drawing, plan
Giles, C. (RCHME), 1978. 'Hatfeild Hall, Stanley'
Photograph
Giles, C. (RCHME), 1978. 'Hatfeild Hall, Stanley'
Photograph
Booth, J. (WMDC - Planning) 1988. 'Hatfield Hall, Stanley: condition of plaster ceiling, July 1988'
Photograph
Thornborrow , P.H. (WYAS), 1987. Hatfield Hall, Stanley
Desc.text
Thornborrow, P.H. (WYAAS, 2003. 'Hatfield Hall, Aberford Road, off Stanley: Consultation Response to Planning Application 02/99/34482/AG'