HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Stanck

Hob Uid: 1526694
Location :
North Yorkshire
Harrogate
Spofforth with Stockeld
Grid Ref : SE3596551274
Summary : Dam and former millpond, now dry. A large artificial pond, then called 'Stanck or Mill Dam' is shown on two maps, one of circa 1600 and another of 1608; its extents can be straightforwardly traced on the ground and its dam remains a well preserved bank up to 2m high. By circa 1600, the pond fed a watermill located at its north-east corner (HOB UID 53422), but the water feature may have originated in the medieval period as a fishpond, millpond or ornamental mere (or all of these) associated with Spofforth Castle, which lies a short distance to its south-east (HOB UID 53376). The former area of the pond is now dry and is bisected by a railway embankment, which has been disused since the 1960s.
More information : (SE 3595 5145) Dam and former millpond, now dry.
In October 2010, English Heritage's Archaeological Survey and Investigation team carried out a rapid examination of Spofforth Castle and its environs to inform revision of the presentation of the property, which is maintained by English Heritage as a 'free site'. The only direct product of this investigation was the revision of the relevant AMIE records.
A large artificial pond, then called 'Stanck or Mill Dam' is shown on two maps, one of c.1600 and another of 1608; its extents can be straightforwardly traced on the ground and its dam remains a well preserved bank up to 2m high. By c.1600, the pond fed a watermill located at its north-east corner (SE 35 SE 26), but the water feature may have originated in the medieval period as a fishpond, millpond or ornamental mere (or all of these) associated with Spofforth Castle, which lies a short distance to its south-east (SE 35 SE 6). The former area of the pond is now dry and is bisected by a railway embankment, which has been disused since the 1960s. (1)

Some remains of the mill pond are visible as earthworks on historic and recent air photos. (2)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source : Field Investigators Comments
Source details : English Heritage: Level 1 field observation on Spofforth Castle and its environs 26-OCT-2010
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source : Vertical aerial photograph reference number
Source details : NMR RAF/540/572 3343 30-JUL-1951
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : SE 35 SE 61
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments : 53422
Relationship type : General association
Associated Monuments : 1569205
Relationship type : General association

Related Activities :