HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Historic England research records Result
Historic England research recordsPrintable version | About Historic England research records

Historic England Research Records

Richmond Lodge

Hob Uid: 970435
Location :
Greater London Authority
Richmond upon Thames
Non Civil Parish
Grid Ref : TQ1763175969
Summary : Hunting lodge to the Old Deer Park constructed in 1605 by Robert Stickles, comprising a main block with two projecting wings. It was brick built, with stone dressings and a tiled roof. Over the next 40 years the lodge was extended and altered and in the mid 1690s improved. From 1702 the lodge was owned by James Butler, the Duke of Ormonde, who in 1707, enlarged the lodge. By 1718 the lodge became the property of George II and his wife Caroline who, during the early 1720s, conducted further building work. The lodge was demolished in 1772. No remains of the Lodge were recorded during a RCHME earthwork survey of the site in 1992. However, the house site was obscured by sand bunkers and trees.
More information : Ormonde Lodge also known as Richmond Lodge (TQ 1765 7597 FCE), a Great House, lay to the east of the former charterhouse of Sheen (TQ 17 NE 31). The house and its gardens are shown on maps published by John Rocque in the early eighteenth century. They show the house and its outbuildings surrounded by small formal gardens close to the house giving way to woodland walks and avenues of trees (1).

From the early eighteenth century the lodge reverted into royal hands when the lodge formerly held by the Duke of Ormonde was granted by George I to the Prince of Wales. King George III was a frequent visitor to the Lodge which he settled on his wife in 1761. Plans were commissioned for a new palace (TQ 17 NE 60) from the architect William Chambers to be constructed adjacent to Richmond Lodge. Contemporary accounts report that although the plan was laid out and work began in 1770 the house never rose above the ground floors. Work on the new palace ceased in 1772 and it was around this date that both the Richmond Lodge and the new unfinished palace were demolished. The land subsequently reverted to pasture before becoming part of the Royal Mid Surrey Golf Club (2-3).

No remains of Ormonde Lodge were seen on a perambulation of the golf course. A plot by RCHME APU of all the available air photography of the former charterhouse site revealed a number of the garden compartments mapped by Rocque, unfortunately the area of the house was obscured by sand bunkers and a stand of trees.

The Lodge was formerly recorded as part of record (TQ 17 NE 27) Old Deer Park. (4)

Hunting lodge to the Old Deer Park constructed in 1605 by Robert Stickles, comprising a main block with two projecting wings. It was brick built, with stone dressings and a tiled roof. Over the next 40 years the lodge was extended and altered and in the mid 1690s improved. From 1702 the lodge was owned by James Butler, the Duke of Ormonde, who in 1707, enlarged the lodge. By 1718 the lodge became the property of George II and his wife Caroline who, during the early 1720s, conducted further building work. The lodge was demolished in 1772. (5-7)

Sources :
Source Number : 1
Source :
Source details : O'Neil, J. 1988. John Rocque as a guide to gardens Garden History 16 pt1 pp 9-10
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :
Source Number : 2
Source :
Source details : Cloake, J. 1990. Richmonds Great Monastery The Charterhouse of Jesus of Bethlehem of Shene PP 23-4
Page(s) :
Figs. :
Plates :
Vol(s) :

Monument Types:
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered until 1645
Monument End Date : 1645
Monument Start Date :
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Constructed 1605
Monument End Date : 1605
Monument Start Date : 1605
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Improved and enlarged mid 1690s
Monument End Date : 1696
Monument Start Date : 1693
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Enlarged 1707
Monument End Date : 1707
Monument Start Date : 1707
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Altered early 1720s
Monument End Date : 1722
Monument Start Date : 1720
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Demolished Building
Monument Period Name : Post Medieval
Display Date : Demolished 1772
Monument End Date : 1772
Monument Start Date : 1772
Monument Type : Hunting Lodge
Evidence : Demolished Building

Components and Objects:
Related Records from other datasets:
External Cross Reference Source : National Monuments Record Number
External Cross Reference Number : TQ 17 NE 66
External Cross Reference Notes :

Related Warden Records :
Associated Monuments :
Relationship type :

Related Activities :
Associated Activities :
Activity type : MEASURED SURVEY
Start Date : 1992-11-03
End Date : 1993-11-05