HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Cambridgeshire HER Result
Cambridgeshire HERPrintable version | About Cambridgeshire HER

CHER Number:02781b
Type of record:Building
Name:Post Medieval house and school, Ramsey Abbey

Summary

The Abbey was dissolved in 1539, when most of the buildings were pulled down and the surviving building converted into a house. Abbey House is now a Grammar School.

Grid Reference:TL 291 850
Parish:Ramsey, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire

Monument Type(s):

  • WALL (16th century - 1501 AD to 1600 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th century to 19th century - 1501 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Events:

  • Evaluation at Ramsey Abbey School, 1996 (Ref: RAS AB 96)
  • Monitoring at Ramsey Abbey, 1995

Protected Status:

Full description

1. Ramsey Abbey (School) (NAT) on site of (NAT) St Mary's Abbey (NR) (Benedictine).

2. The Abbey was dissolved in 1539 when most of the buildings were pulled down and the surviving building converted into a house. Abbey House is now a Grammar School. Plan.

3. When the Abbey was dissolved in 1539 it passed to Sir Richard Williams (alias Cromwell.) Most of the buildings were pulled down, and it is probably his son, Sir Henry Cromwell, who began the conversion of the surviving buildings into a house. The alterations, which perhaps belong to two periods, include a large extension westwards with a tower at the north west angle, a porch and a tower at the north east angle and perhaps the raising of the main building, which was divided into storeys. The building was very extensively altered in 1839 when the north front was largely masked by a narrow addition and an outer porch built. There is a modern wing at the west end and a large modern bay at the east end. The walls enclosing the grounds on the north are probably 16th century incorporating re-used (including some 12th century) stones.

4 & 6. A stone wall possibly associated with a pre 19th century undercroft was located. The current school grounds incorporate several structures associated with the post-medieval house.


Reynolds, T., 1999, Fieldwork in Cambridgeshire. PCAS 87: 101-6, p. 103 (Article in serial). SCB17807.

Spoerry, P. and Cooper, S., 2000, Ramsey Abbey: An Archaeological Survey (Digital archive). SCB17808.

<1> 1958, OS 6 inch map (Map). SCB9007.

<2> Dickinson, P.G.M., 1967, St Ives Chapel; Ramsey church, Abbey and Gatehouse. Archaeol J 124: 214-58, 245 - 247 (Article in serial). SCB900.

<3> RCHM, 1926, An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire, 207 - 209 (Bibliographic reference). SCB12619.

<4> Heawood, R., 1995, Archaeological Recording at Ramsey Abbey (Unpublished report). SCB17805.

<5> Denham, T., Evans, C., Malim, T. and Reynolds, T. (eds), 1996, Fieldwork in Cambridgeshire: September 1994-May 1996. PCAS 84: 167-86, p. 175 (Article in serial). SCB17635.

Sources and further reading

---Article in serial: Reynolds, T.. 1999. Fieldwork in Cambridgeshire. PCAS 87: 101-6. p. 103.
---Digital archive: Spoerry, P. and Cooper, S.. 2000. Ramsey Abbey: An Archaeological Survey.
<1>Map: 1958. OS 6 inch map.
<2>Article in serial: Dickinson, P.G.M.. 1967. St Ives Chapel; Ramsey church, Abbey and Gatehouse. Archaeol J 124: 214-58. 245 - 247.
<3>Bibliographic reference: RCHM. 1926. An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Huntingdonshire. 207 - 209.
<4>Unpublished report: Heawood, R.. 1995. Archaeological Recording at Ramsey Abbey.
<5>Article in serial: Denham, T., Evans, C., Malim, T. and Reynolds, T. (eds). 1996. Fieldwork in Cambridgeshire: September 1994-May 1996. PCAS 84: 167-86. p. 175.

Related records

01777Related to: Booth's Hill, Ramsey Abbey (Monument)
11953Related to: Late Saxon and Medieval remains, Ramsey Abbey School (Monument)
02781Related to: Medieval abbey, Ramsey Abbey (Monument)
02782Related to: Ramsey Abbey Gatehouse (Building)
12329Related to: Ramsey Abbey park and gardens (Park and Garden)

Reports

No image description available © Cambridgeshire County Council. Click to open in a new window (0.28 MB).

No image description available © Cambridgeshire County Council. Click to open in a new window (0.28 MB).