HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Cornwall & Scilly HER Result
Printable version | About Cornwall & Scilly HER | Visit Cornwall & Scilly HER online...

For important guidance on the use of this record, please click here.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:28029.20
Name:CARMINOWE - Medieval manor, Medieval country house, Post Medieval farmhouse

Summary

The manor of Carminowe was the original and principle seat of the Carwinows, one of the oldest and wealthiest of Cornish families.

Grid Reference:SW 6651 2397
Parish:Mawgan in Meneage, Kerrier, Cornwall
Map:Show location on Streetmap

Protected Status

  • Listed Building (II) 65282: CARMINOWE FARMHOUSE

Other References/Statuses

  • OS No. (OS Quarter-sheet and OS No.): SW62SE 3
  • Primary Record No. (1985-2009): 28029.20
  • SMR No. (OS Quarter-sheet and SMR No.): SW62SE 2

Monument Types

Full description

The manor of Carminowe was the original and principal seat of the Carwinows, one of the oldest and wealthiest of Cornish families. The medieval moated manor house flourished from the C13 until the property fell to the Arundells after the death of the last of the family line, Johanna Carminow, in 1536. It was then leased to various gentry and by 1561 the chapel was in ruins and a large portion of the C13 mansion was destroyed, and a much smaller Tudor house built. This farmhouse was sold to the Rogers of Penrose, by which time the old buildings were in so ruinous a condition that they had to be demolished and an entirely new farmhouse was built on the site by JJ Rogers in 1861. A plan and description of the old mansion was published in 1875 (b2). The C13 mansion was enclosed by a square moat, part of which still remains to the north of the farm buildings, and is full of water. The mansion was built around a court 12m square corresponding to the present farmyard. On the north side was the 12m long hall with large open fireplace in its west wall which was 1.8m thick, and above it was an upper chamber with fireplace. On the west side of the court was the porter's lodge and main entrance, with the chapel probably on the south side and its burial ground lay outside the moat. On the east was the kitchen (b3). A tower was added by the Arundells in the north east angle during the C16 (b4). The OS in 1972 record that none of the medieval buildings or arms of the moat now survive although many pieces of the medieval window tracery, door lintels and worked stone survive in the present buildings. The location given by b2 for the site of the court, within the present farmyard is confirmed by the Tithe map (b1) where the plan of the medieval house can be related to the contemporary buildings (h1).

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Related records

28029Part of: CARMINOWE - Medieval settlement (Monument)