HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV100176
Name:The Old Mine House, Wheal Robert Mine

Summary

Pair of attached houses, originally mine captain's and manager's houses, now one house. Known as Avondale at the time of listing. Mid-late 19th century with 20th century alterations. Rubble, rendered sides and rear, slate- hung front, slate hipped roofs with brick stacks. Pair of mirror image house with cross wings left and right with entrance porches in the angles, forming an overall H-plan.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 509 707
Map Sheet:SX57SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishHorrabridge
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPETER TAVY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FOREMANS HOUSE (XIX - 1850 AD to 1899 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 1105784 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

HORRABRIDGE SX 56 NW 7/1 Avondale- II
Pair of attached houses, originally mine captain's and manager's houses, now one house. Mid-late C19 with C20 alterations. Rubble, rendered sides and rear, slate- hung front, slate hipped roofs with brick stacks. Pair of mirror image house with cross wings left and right with entrance porches in the angles, forming an overall H-plan. 2 storeys, 1:3:1 windows, all 12-pane sashes in plain reveals with cills, projecting wing left and right with canted bay through 2 storeys, with 12-pane sashes at front and 8-pane sash to each side; ground floor centre 3 bays have similar sash to centre, single-storey wooden porch left and right in angle to wings, with half-glazed C20 doors; off-centre brick stack to left. Right return has small single storey C20 concrete addition to right; left return has ground and first floor 12-pane sash with 2 stacks at eaves. Rear has wing left and right each with ground and first floor 12- pane sash, wing to right has ground floor small single light, 1 central bay with similar sash at ground and first floor; in angle to right a porch with pitched roof, plain door and 4-pane light, in angle to left porch with hipped roof, door, single light and 6-pane light wing to right on granite and slatestone rubble plinth with lean-to at end with 6-pane light and C20 door. Interior not inspected. Formerly known as The Old Mine House.
Listing NGR: SX5098970798

Sources / Further Reading

SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #61342 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 1105784.

Associated Monuments

MDV63761Related to: MINE in the Parish of Horrabridge (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 21 2014 3:29PM