HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV100872
Name:Cleaves, Lamerton


Farmhouse, now in dual occupation. Dated 1585, probably as a new house for a minor gentleman, possibly William Grylls, 17th century rear wing, with 19th century and 20th century alterations, wing to right under construction at time of Listing survey (June 1985).


Grid Reference:SX 466 779
Map Sheet:SX47NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishLamerton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishLAMERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to Unknown - 1585 AD (Post))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Depicted on the modern mapping as 'The Old Manor'.

Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

Farmhouse, now in dual occupation. Dated 1585, probably as a new house for a minor gentleman, possibly William Grylls (cf coat of arms), C17 rear wing, with C19 and C20 alterations, wing to right under construction at time of survey (June 1985). Rubble, partly rendered, granite dressings, hipped slate roofs, cement-washed over rear wing and porch, asbestos slates on central range, with ridge stack at former gable end to right. Probably originally 3 room and through passage plan with possibly site of stair to rear left, 2-storey porch to front of passage. Probable original stair tower enclosed by later C17 rear wing. Passage widened and C20 stair inserted, position of rear passage door obscured by alterations. Hall was probably originally to left of passage, inner room removed, evolution uncertain. 2 storeys, to left a 2-storey porch with hipped roof (no evidence of front window to room to left of passage) 2-centred arched chamfered granite door opening with pyramid stops, attached right and left base of column with moulded bases for quadruple shafts (probably removed from Church of St Peter (qv)), dripmould over, C20 door with strap hinges, similar inner opening with half-glazed door, date 1585 and shield with helmet over; bay to right has plinth, ground and first floor 6-light C20 window; C20 rendered addition of 2 storeys to right, ground and first floor 3-light stone chamfered casement, 2-light dormer and hipped roof. Left return has roof hipped to right, ground floor C20 6-light window, slate-hung above with 2-light casement at first floor; slightly lower rear wing to left, not rendered, glazed door to right, small 2-light casement and 2-light granite mullion window, chamfered with 3-pane lights and hood-mould, under eaves a 2-light and 3-light casement, both with timber lintel. Right return has one 2-light casement at ground floor and 2 at first floor, porch with pitched roof, built up with rise in ground level; French window to right, 3-light casement and 2 hipped dormers. Rear, not rendered, has C20 lean-to at ground floor, internal courtyard formed by 2 rear wings, enclosed by rear curtain wall about 4 metres high; in front of stair tower projection, first floor has 3-light casement with timber lintel, wing to right has single storey C20 addition in angle to rear lean-to, at ground floor a C19 2-light casement with timber lintel, and two 2-light casements at first floor of irregular size and spacing, 2 panes each light, to right 3 rows of pigeon holes with slate perches, end of wing has external stack without chimney and small lean-to with door. Taller C20 2-storey wing to left has French window, 2-light casement at ground floor and 3-light at first floor. Rear of curtain wall has flight of 10 stone steps to upper ground level. Interior wide entrance hall, no original rear door opening, open to first floor level with C20 landing, room to right has fireplace with timber lintel and granite jambs mostly blocked, front wall had fallen out, rebuilt removing mullioned window, no early features in room to left of passage. 2-centred wooden chamfered doorframe to room to rear left, originally site of stair, rear room in wing remodelled C20. At first floor, centre rear window has deep splayed reveals, in room over porch, window has mullion hollow-chamfered. Roof not accessible. (Sources: Alcock, Dr N. : Unpublished notes 1985).
Listing NGR: SX4660677987

Sources / Further Reading

SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #113099 ]
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Aug 23 2018 12:24PM