HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV100903
Name:Butchers' Market Hall, Tavistock

Summary

Former butcher's market hall built in about 1860 by the 7th Duke of Bedford as part of a development which included the Pannier Market, Town Hall, shops on Duke Street and the Police Station. Comprises two parallel ranges of Hurdwick stone with granite and yellow brick dressings.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 482 744
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 487287

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MARKET HALL (XIX - 1859 AD to 1861 AD (Between))

Full description

West Devon Borough Council, 2009, Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan, 11, 20, 29 (Report - non-specific). SDV351411.

The auction rooms in Market Road are in need of repair.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Butchers' market. Circa 1860, for the seventh Duke of Bedford. Hurdwick stone rubble with granite and yellow brick dressings. Slate roofs with stone-coped gables at south-east end and hipped at north-west end.
Plan: Two parallel ranges on north-west-south-east axis, cranked to east-south-east at south-east end.
Exterior: Single storey. South-east end to Market Road, two bays with twin gables; tall vehicular entrances on ground floor with yellow brick depressed two-centred arches and plank glazed doors; similarly arched windows above in gables. North-west elevation facing Pannier Market has two smaller depressed two-centred arch entrances infilled with shop fronts. Along ridge of roofs louvred ventilators. Interior: open to braced tie-rod roofs.
Built in about 1860 by the 7th Duke of Bedford as part of a development which included the Pannier Market, Town Hall, shops on Duke Street and the Police Station.


Brown, A., 2017, Former Butchers Market Hall, Tavistock, Devon. Results of Archaeological Monitoring and Recording (Report - Watching Brief). SDV360121.

Monitoring and recording was undertaken at the Former Butchers Market Hall in Tavistock during excavations for the lengthening of an internal ramp. The original granite floor and later concrete ramp were recorded, and following their removal a stone and brick drainage channel, probably dating from the 19th century, was exposed. This is also contemporary with the hall and represents part of a larger drainage run.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #61414 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV351411Report - non-specific: West Devon Borough Council. 2009. Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan. West Devon Borough Council Report. a4 Stapled + Digital. 11, 20, 29.
SDV360121Report - Watching Brief: Brown, A.. 2017. Former Butchers Market Hall, Tavistock, Devon. Results of Archaeological Monitoring and Recording. AC Archaeology. ACD 1448/2/0. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV7228 - Archaeological Monitoring and Recording at the Former Butchers Market Hall, Tavistock

Date Last Edited:Mar 9 2017 4:25PM