HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV101212
Name:Harford Bridge Farmhouse, Mary Tavy


Known as Beggar's Hatch at time of listing. Farmhouse, now house. Early 17th century, dated 1686 on hall fireplace, later 17th century rear wing, internal alterations c. 1800, with mid-late 19th century external alterations and 20th century alterations. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings, asbestos slate roof, some slates remaining, brick gable stacks and rubble rear lateral stack; first floor of rear wing originally raised in cob, rebuilt 20th century faced in rubble.


Grid Reference:SX 504 768
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishPeter Tavy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMARY TAVY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XVII - 1600 AD to 1635 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England, 132653 (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

MARY TAVY SX 57 NW 4/63 Beggar's Hatch - II
Farmhouse, now house. Early C17, dated 1686 on hall fireplace, later C17 rear wing, internal alterations c. 1800, with mid-late C19 external alterations and C20 alterations. Slatestone and granite rubble with granite dressings, asbestos slate roof, some slates remaining, brick gable stacks and rubble rear lateral stack; first floor of rear wing originally raised in cob, rebuilt C20 faced in rubble.
Originally 4 rooms, room to end left formerly dairy, room to end right demolished after flood in C20. Lower end originally to right, front passage door concealed by lean-to, rear passage door now leading to rear wing, which also encloses original stair tower. Inner room heated by rear lateral stack. Original stair replaced by c. 1800 stair to rear which divides to right and left giving separate access to first floor rooms. Overall L-plan formed by rear wing, originally T-plan before demolition of end room to right. 2 storeys and 3 windows, ground floor has three 4-pane sashes with brick segmental heads, second from left panelled and glazed C19 door, to end right lean-to with half- glazed door concealing ledged door with strap hinges c. 1800 and single light in granite hollow-chamfered surround; door to front of lean-to; first floor has two 4- pane sashes under eaves and 3-light 3-pane casement to right. Right and has curved oven projection to right of flue, C20 2-light casement at first floor right; straight joint to lower 2-storey rear wing with 3-light casement at ground floor and 2-light at first floor, both C20; single storey outhouse attached to right, 2 door openings with timber lintels and rag slate roof, C20 doors in gable end. Left end has asbestos slate-hung gable end. Inner side of rear wing has C20 ground and first floor lights and half-glazed door; rear wing built around original stair tower with single light in hollow-chamfered granite surround with leaded lights and iron stanchion, stepped rear lateral stack to right with slate weatherings; wall continued in same line as stack with 2-light 6-pane casement at first floor, then wall stepped back to right with C20 single light at first floor, brick and rubble lean-to along ground floor level with door and 2-light 2-pane casement.
Interior former rear passage opening has fine door of 2 panels with raised fillets, studs and strap hinges, heavy battens to rear of door; c. 1800 staight stair set slightly to right of stair tower, dividing right and left at landing, with turned balusters and moulded handrail, bottom steps of earlier newel stair in cupboard underneath. Room to right has fireplace with granite jambs and flat timber lintel, cloam oven to rear left; room to right has hall fireplace (rear lateral stack) in granite with hollow-chamfered jambs and lintel, roll-moulded, with initials and date on central cartouche, BIF/1686, for Isobel Fulford and Badcock, panelled cupboards to left of c. 1800 alterations, screen partition with raised moulded fillets between hall and staircase. Roof of C20 reconstruction. Formerly known as Harford Bridge Farmhouse.
Listing NGR: SX5048276852

Sources / Further Reading

SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #61448 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website. 132653.

Associated Monuments

MDV77926Part of: Harford Bridge farm, Peter Tavy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Apr 8 2014 1:47PM