HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV101605
Name:Carriage Shed, Kinglsey Road, Bideford

Summary

Railway carriage shed. 1901 for the Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway. The railway ran for only sixteen years and was shipped wholesale to France in 1917.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 451 271
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTHAM

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 488189

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • RAILWAY CARRIAGE SHED (XX to World War I - 1901 AD to 1917 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Railway carriage shed. 1901 for the Bideford, Westward Ho and Appledore Railway. Constructed of local grey limestone with white brick window dressings and a sheet roof. Long single storey shed with a gabled roof. One gable is open with a modern folding door and vertical boarding in the gable above. The other gable is stonewalled with three windows. The long walls have nine windows, all windows with 6 over 6 pane sashes. The roof slopes each have eleven rectangular lights. Interior: Single space, which once had two roads each of which could house two coaches. Eight king post trusses support the roof. History: The Bideford, Westward Ho and Appledore Railway was opened in 1901 as part railway / part tramway with its terminus on the quay at Bideford. Although owned by the British Electric Traction Company its motive power was in fact steam. It had no connection with the London and South Western Railway at Bideford station as this was on the east bank of the river Torridge. The railway ran for only sixteen years and was shipped wholesale to France in 1917. No attempt was made to reopen after the war.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #61471 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV481Related to: Bideford, Westward Ho! And Appledore Railway, Bideford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 13 2012 10:59AM