HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV101833
Name:Steart Farmhouse


Late 17th or early 18th century farmhouse with mid 19th century extension. The farmhouse retains original features such as timber roof trusses.


Grid Reference:SS 356 228
Map Sheet:SS32SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishParkham
Ecclesiastical ParishPARKHAM

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 91490

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1650 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Jones Lang Lasalle, 08/02/2014, Route 39 Academy, Steart Farm, Bucks Cross, Bideford (Report - Assessment). SDV357827.

Steart Farmhouse (Building 01) is a Grade II listed building, The description on the list identifies the building as being of late 18th or early 19th century date, with an extension to the south of mid-19th century date which created an L-plan structure. The southward extension has steps leading to a first floor doorway in the gable end. However recent examination of the building, including fireplaces that were concealed at the time of listing, suggests that the earliest parts of the structure may be mid-17th century, with additions in the early 18th century.

The earliest detailed map of the proposal site is the Parkham Tithe Map of 1840. This shows the L-plan farmhouse, although the arrangement is not quite the same, suggesting that the mid-19th century date for the present southward extension may be correct. If so, it replaced an earlier extension that was affixed to the south-west corner of the earlier farmhouse. The 1st edition Ordnance Survey (OS) 25’’ map was published in 1886 and shows the layout much as it is at present, although there have been some later additions including to either side of the southwards extension and also a small toilet block on the northern side of the farmhouse. There is also an indication on this OS map of a small lean-to or outshut at the eastern end of the building which is no longer present. Photographs in the possession of the current owners show more detail of this lean-to.

Ordnance Survey, 2014, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV355681.

English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

Farmhouse. Late C18/early Cl9, with mid C19 extension. Colourwashed render over coursed slatestone rubble; gabled slate roof; rendered C19 brick right end stack; late C18/early C19 stone left end stack with drip courses. 3-unit plan, with central narrow hall and main kitchen to left; extended in mid C19 to L-plan with front left wing. 2 storeys; 2-window range. Late C19 four-panelled (2 glazed) door to centre, with gabled open-fronted porch. Flat rendered arches over late C19 three-light casements with transomed lights. Mid C19 extension, of similar materials, has C20 outshut to right and steps to first-floor doorway in gable end. Interior: interior to right not inspected but likely to be of interest.

Wessex Archaeology, 2017, Route 39 Academy, Steart Farm, Bucks Cross, Bideford, Devon: Historic Building Record (Report - Survey). SDV363518.

The origin of the farm would appear to be in the later post-medieval period and can be characterised as a typical modest north Devon regional farmstead. The earliest building is likely to be the Grade II listed farmhouse, located to the north-west of the complex of farm buildings. The farmhouse consists of a cob-built east-west range which is typical of a modest dwelling of this period. The farmhouse was probably constructed in the late 17th or 18th century and retains original features such as timber roof trusses. The east-west range features a plank and batten door, made from 3 planks suggesting a possible late 17th century date.

Soon after its construction a south-west wing was constructed as part of an 18th century re-organisation with a central passage and staircase added dividing the ground and first floors into two rooms. As part of this formal layout, the south-west wing was added - probably as a service range. A rare stamped iron pig ingot was identified as part of a cloam oven frame within the farmhouse fireplace. This is of considerable interest as it appears to have been manufactured in the early 18th century by the Principio Iron Works in Maryland for export to Britain.

Expansion of the farmhouse to the east and west during the late 19th century could be attributed to the Mark Rolle programme of work at Steart Farm.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV355681Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2014. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #61482 ]
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV357827Report - Assessment: Jones Lang Lasalle. 08/02/2014. Route 39 Academy, Steart Farm, Bucks Cross, Bideford. Jones Lang Lasalle. Digital.
SDV363518Report - Survey: Wessex Archaeology. 2017. Route 39 Academy, Steart Farm, Bucks Cross, Bideford, Devon: Historic Building Record. Wessex Archaeology. 115060.02. Digital.
Linked documents:1

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6685 - Environmental Impact Assessment, Route 39 Academy, Steart Farm, Bucks Cross, Bideford
  • EDV8269 - Historic Building Record at Route 39 Academy, Steart Farm, Bucks Cross, Bideford (Ref: 115060.02)

Date Last Edited:Apr 16 2020 3:27PM