HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV102139
Name:Agricultural Building at Greendale

Summary

Late 19th century agricultural building, probably built as stabling.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 000 899
Map Sheet:SY08NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishClyst St. Mary
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCLYST ST.MARY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE (XIX - 1850 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.


Morriss, R., 2008, Greendale Farm, Clyst St. Mary. An Architectural and Archaeological Analysis (Report - Survey). SDV349170.

The north-east range is at the north-eastern corner of the main farmyard, and is a none-and-a-half storey range, approximately 13 metres by 5.8 metres. It is built of pale red bricks laid mainly to a Flemish Bond on the main (south) elevation, and Flemish Garden Wall on the others. It is carefully bonded into the brickwork of the adjacent north-west range, but there is sufficient evidence to suggest that this building post-dates it.
Only the south elevation has openings. It has a central loft door or lucam, with a gablet top projecting above the eaves. At ground floor is an origianl doorway at the east end and the survivng jamb of another towards the west - much altered and next to an inserted double doorway. There are two original ground-floor window openings and another loft opening to the west of centre. All primary openings have or had jambs of bull-nosed bricks and the ground-floor openings have tall plain brick segmental arches.
The roof is plain gabled with a small cross-roof the the top of the lucam on the south side. It is covered with corrugated iron sheeting. The roof structure was supported on the brick cross wall and on much altered king-post trusses.
The interior is divided into two by a brick cross wall set slightly east of centre. Thelarger space is accessed by the inserted double doorway and altered primary doorway and lit by the primary window. It contains the base of a huge feed processing silo. The other space appears latterly to have been a feed area, and was origially a loose box.
The first floor structure is supported by plain joists in the easter part and in the western part there was originally a pair of bridging beams supporting axial joists. The western beam was removed to make way for the silo. The first floor was mainly for storage.
Possibly built as stabling. It is clearly shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey map, but seems unlikely to have been the range shown on the 1839 Tithe Map.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #61574 ]
SDV349170Report - Survey: Morriss, R.. 2008. Greendale Farm, Clyst St. Mary. An Architectural and Archaeological Analysis. Richard K Morriss & Associates Report. 426. Digital + A4.

Associated Monuments

MDV15518Related to: Greendale Farm (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5751 - Architectural and Archaeological Analysis of Greendale Farm, Clyst St. Mary

Date Last Edited:May 3 2019 2:38PM