HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV102270
Name:Former field boundaries at Limebury Farm

Summary

Four linear earthwork banks visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s, to the north and west of Limebury Farm, are probably the remains of field boundaries, possibly of medieval origin.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 362 221
Map Sheet:SS32SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishParkham
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishPARKHAM

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Medieval to XIX - 1066 AD to 1840 AD)

Full description

1842, A Map of the Parish of Parkham in the County of Devon (Cartographic). SDV349401.

The earthworks in part correspond with field boundaries depicted on the tithe map.


Royal Air Force, 1946, RAF/3G/TUD/UK/158 (Aerial Photograph). SDV349143.

Four linear earthwork banks are visible on to the north and west of Limebury Farm.


Next Perspectives, 2007, Next Perspectives PGA Tile Ref: (Aerial Photograph). SDV349178.

All of the earthworks appear to have been levelled.


Hegarty, C. + Knight, S., 2011 - 2012, North Devon Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme Project (Interpretation). SDV349018.

Four linear earthwork banks are visible on aerial photographs of the 1940s, to the north and west of Limebury Farm. The banks are probably the remains of former field boundaries, potentially of medieval origin. The former boundary located at circa SS 36212212, is depicted on the Parkham tithe map of circa 1840. No banks are depicted in this location on the Ordnance Survey first edition 25 inch map of the 1880s-1890s. It can be suggested, therefore, that the majority of the boundaries had been removed by 1840, with the final boundary being removed between 1840 and circa 1890. All of the earthworks appear to have been levelled or built over by 2007.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349018Interpretation: Hegarty, C. + Knight, S.. 2011 - 2012. North Devon Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme Project. AC Archaeology Report. ACD383/2/1. Digital.
Linked documents:1
SDV349143Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946. RAF/3G/TUD/UK/158. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper).
SDV349178Aerial Photograph: Next Perspectives. 2007. Next Perspectives PGA Tile Ref:. Pan Government Agreement Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV349401Cartographic: 1842. A Map of the Parish of Parkham in the County of Devon. Tithe Map.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6132 - North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty NMP Project

Date Last Edited:Aug 15 2017 4:49PM