HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV102306
Name:Blackmores' Depository, Rope Walk, Bideford


Former collar factory probably built in 1898. Subsequently used as a furniture depository, now workshops, shops and keep-fit studio.


Grid Reference:SS 454 268
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTHAM
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 375920

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CLOTHING FACTORY (XIX - 1898 AD to 1898 AD (Throughout))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Collar Factory' marked.

Devon County Council, 1975, Bideford Town Trail, 78 (Article in Monograph). SDV352469.

Described as one of the town's best buildings because of its honest Victorian character.

Torridge District Council, 2009, Bideford Conservation Area Appraisal, 16 (Report - non-specific). SDV351295.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

'Depository' marked.

English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

Collar factory; later furniture depository, now used as workshops, shops and keep-fit studio. Probably 1898 by RT Hookway of Bideford. Cream-brick front with dressings of red brick and a dark red stone resembling sandstone; rear wall of stone rubble. Hipped slate roof. Cream-brick chimney on centre of rear wall. Single-depth rectangular plan. Three storeys; single-storeyed section at left-hand end; 22-window range, the single-storeyed section with in addition 5 windows flanked by a doorway to right and a cart-entrance to left. Main range designed with a strong vertical emphasis, the openings set in shallow recesses rising through all 3 storeys. Middle recess occupies a gabled projection with main entrance in ground storey and a loading door in each upper storey. The recesses have jambs and segmental arches of red brick, the arches with keystones; the windows have beneath them rectangular panels outlined in red brick. Main entrance has stone jambs and a round, cream-brick arch with keystone and flat stone archivolt, the arch enclosed within a rectangular stone frame. Double-doors, each with 6 heavily-moulded panels and an ornate iron door handle; fanlight with radial glazing-bars. On the archivolt is painted BLACKMORES' DEPOSITORY. Loading doors have jambs and segmental arches of red brick, the arches with keystones; double plank doors in upper part of opening, the lower part occupied by a 4-paned window. At the top of the third-storey loading-door a projecting iron girder with a pulley-wheel at the end. Openings within the flanking recesses (including 7 ground-storey doorways) have segmental arches of cream brick with keystones. Doorways contain plank doors with 3-paned fanlights. Windows have 3 mullioned-and-transomed lights. Simple red-brick eaves cornice composed of 2 stepped courses. On the centre of the ridge (visible from Kingsley Road) is a square cupola with ogee roof and weather-vane. At right-hand end is a single-storey lean-to masked by the bases of 2 recesses like those on the main front; it is not clear if these were part of an extension later demolished, or one that was never completed. Single-storeyed section to left is a plainer version of the main range, the window-openings with segmental cream-brick arches, linked at springing and sill-levels by red-brick bands; windows have the same 3-light, mullioned-and-transomed frames. Doorway at right-hand end is similar, but with red-brick jambs; panelled double-doors, 3-paned fanlights. Cart-entrance to left has plain lintel, probably a girder cased in cement; double plank doors.
Interior not inspected, but former club photographs inside main entrance showed a staircase with thin square balusters (probably of iron) and a continuous wooden handrail. Kingpost-and-ridge roof-trusses. This building is marked as a collar factory on the 25in OS map of 1904. The site was previously used for rope-making.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #61756 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV351295Report - non-specific: Torridge District Council. 2009. Bideford Conservation Area Appraisal. Torridge District Council Planning Guidance. Digital. 16.
SDV352469Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Bideford Town Trail. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 78.

Associated Monuments

MDV18275Related to: The Strand Ropewalk, Bideford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Feb 5 2015 2:59PM