HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV102392
Name:Fairlinch Farm, Braunton

Summary

Fairlinch is recorded as Underfayrlinch in 1324.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 475 375
Map Sheet:SS43NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBraunton
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBRAUNTON

Protected Status

  • Listed Building (II*) 1325553: FAIRLINCH
  • SHINE: Traditional farm buildings, remains of orchards and earthworks of quarry dating to the 19th century or earlier and part of Braunton Great Field dating back to the Medieval period at Fairlinch

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIV - 1301 AD to 1400 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Fairlinch Remains of a Mansion' marked on 1880s-1890s 25 inch Ordnance Survey map comprising the main house with an adjoining range and buildings opposite with the main farm buildings forming two L-shaped ranged around a yard to the south-east. A well is also marked. Map object based on this source.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One, 32 (Monograph). SDV1312.

Fairlinch is documented as Underfayrlinch in 1324 and as Fairelinche and Fayrelynch in 1330 and 1359 respectively. The name means (below) the fair slope.


Child, P., 1999, Stables at Fairlynch, Braunton (Correspondence). SDV349515.

A stable range extends westward from the north corner of the house and consisted originally of a trap house, stable and small animal house. Two mullion and transom windows in the north wall of the stable are dated circa 1700 and are thought to have come from the house when the latter was altered in the 18th century. The stable range forms part of this phase of alteration and enlargement. The animal house is a later addition. Opposite the stable range is a further range of small agricultural buildings including a raised granary and a cider house with a cider press dated 1758. These buildings have been somewhat altered. The main complex of traditional buildings comprise a separate yard to the south-east.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback. 32.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV349515Correspondence: Child, P.. 1999. Stables at Fairlynch, Braunton. Letter to Farming and Rural Conservation Agency. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV583Parent of: Fairlinch (Building)
MDV102390Parent of: Stables at Fairlynch, Braunton (Building)
MDV72443Related to: Fairlinch, Well (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 31 2013 11:08AM