HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV102474
Name:Teignmouth Seafront Battery


A battery was originally built on the Den in the mid 18th century. However, in 1866 Lord Courtenay, the land owner, made known his wish to build on the Den and the battery was moved to the sea front. It continued to be manned until 1905.


Grid Reference:SX 941 725
Map Sheet:SX97SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTeignmouth

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BATTERY (XVIII to XIX - 1701 AD to 1900 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, Towns 1855-95 1:500 (Cartographic). SDV348147.

"Battery (2 Guns)" marked.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Shown, but not marked.

Silverman, J, 2006-2008, Teignmouth Fort and Battery (Correspondence). SDV351221.

Information relating to the fort and battery at Teignmouth, including extracts from documents. This appears to date the battery at the Den to the late 18th or early 19th century.

Silverman, J., 2007, The Teignmouth Battery (Un-published). SDV354590.

History of the battery at Teignmouth, built in the late 18th century to defend the town against the French. Still wary after the attack by the French in 1690 the people of Teignmouth sent a petition to Sir William Courtenay, the manor lord, in the 1740s asking for permission to build a small fort on the Den. The fort is shown on several Courtenay Estate maps dated 1759. However, an article in the Royal Magazine in 1762 states that the town and harbour were defenceless and the fort in ruins. It is shown as such on Donn's Map. The fort was repaired in the 1790s. It was closed at the end of the Napoleonic War in 1815 but was up and running again in 1859 although with two 64 pound cannon rather than 12 pounders. In 1866 Lord Courtenay made known his wish to build on the Den and the Battery was temporarily relocated to the Sea Front until the new Battery was completed near the lighthouse in 1871. The battery continued to be manned until 1905 and in 1907 the site was converted into an underground public toilet. Not quite the end the Volunteers would have cared to imagine.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348147Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Towns 1855-95 1:500. Digital. [Mapped feature: #61928 ]
SDV351221Correspondence: Silverman, J. 2006-2008. Teignmouth Fort and Battery. Emails and Documents. Digital.
SDV354590Un-published: Silverman, J.. 2007. The Teignmouth Battery. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV9893Related to: Battery at The Den, Teignmouth (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Dec 10 2014 3:31PM