HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV102497
Name:Milking Parlour, Penny Hill Farm, Stockland

Summary

A 19th century cattle shed, converted into a milking parlour in the 1960s.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 245 016
Map Sheet:ST20SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishStockland
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSTOCKLAND

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COW HOUSE (XIX - 1850 AD to 1880 AD (Between))

Full description

Humphreys, C., 2000, Penny Hill Farm, BH004009 (Ground Photograph). SDV349753.


Humphreys, C., 2000, Penny Hill, BH004022-BH004025 (Un-published). SDV350981.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, Building BH004.4 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

Visited 6th June 2000 by Colin Humphreys. A long, low single storey, 6-bay open-fronted cattleshed, built 1850 to 1880, which was converted in the 1960s to a milking parlour.
Rubble stone and brick walls with concrete block repairs. Original masonry exposed, 20th century blockwork is rendered. A-frame roof. Tie beam with a notched, mortise and tenon apex. Lap -jointed collar held by single pegs. V notch for ridge, but no evidence of purlins. Circa 1960 tie extended to new front wall ( bolted onto old tie and new front principal). New purlins on blocks. Corrugated iron roof covering (originally slate).
15.78 metres by 3.58 metres (widened to 5.35 metres later).
Open front. Original rear stone wall continuous with masonry of 2 storey barn/cowshed at east end. West gable end also stone with remains of sandstone coping. Circa 1960 posts removed and building widened and front infilled with blockwork wall. New front wall has 3 doorways ( plain plank doors) and 3 windows ( iron framed tilting casements) and fourth door knocked through rear wall to feeding passage.
Original trusses retained but tiebeam extended for new front pitch. Interior contains circa 1960 concrete and tubular steel stalls.
Currently used as a cow house. In poor condition. The building is original, but the new front is of indifferent quality.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #61952 ]
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. Building BH004.4.
SDV349753Ground Photograph: Humphreys, C.. 2000. Penny Hill Farm. Photograph (Digital). BH004009.
SDV350981Un-published: Humphreys, C.. 2000. Penny Hill. Digital. BH004022-BH004025.

Associated Monuments

MDV77464Part of: Penny Hill Farm, Stockland (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4655 - Survey of Farmsteads in the Blackdown Hills

Date Last Edited:Aug 2 2018 10:29AM