HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV102504
Name:Stable at Wadhay

Summary

Early 19th century stable.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 136 031
Map Sheet:ST10SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAwliscombe
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishAWLISCOMBE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE (XVIII to XIX - 1800 AD to 1820 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Map object based on this source.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, Building BH005.1; Photo BH005.002 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

Visited 4th June 2000 by John Thorp. Gable-ended, two storey stable block with single storey lean-to addition at rear (which is shown on 1889 Ordnance Survey map) and a modern, single concrete block lean-to cart shed against the north wall. Built 1800 to 1820. Rubble stone construction. 5-bays. 3 trusses with mortice and tenon joints at apex. Lap- jointed collars bolted to principals. Single back purlin. Slate covering, with sandstone coping and shaped kneeler to south only.
9.41 metres by 5.52 metres by 4.42 metres high to eaves. Lean-to is 7.06 metres long by 2.54 metres wide. Cart shed is 5.52 long by 2.55 metres wide.
In west wall, 2-flap stable door. Boarded, brace and ledged door giving access to yard. Loading door of similiar construction in west wall. West and south wall of ground floor have square, glazed, four light splayed windows. Blocked windows in both north and south gables on first floor. Cart shed is constructed from concrete block. West end open to yard with elm boarding closing upper part, east end is closed. Earlier stone wall is incorporated in east wall.
Three modern animal stalls with feeders in rendered, concrete block construction. Two heavy beams support joists, which are carried at their ends on timber laces set in the north and south walls. Feeding gap along east wall. Remnant of earlier feeder in floor. Lean-to is fully plastered internally. Evidence of ceiling. Access from door in south end.
Now used as store and hen house. In poor condition.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. Building BH005.1; Photo BH005.002.

Associated Monuments

MDV82700Part of: Wadhays Farm, Awliscombe (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 30 2018 2:09PM