HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV102507
Name:Cider House, Wadhays Farm, Awliscombe

Summary

Late 17th- or early 18th century building, refurbished in 19th century.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 136 031
Map Sheet:ST10SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAwliscombe
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishAWLISCOMBE

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CIDER HOUSE (XVII - 1650 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Clements, H. A., 1994, Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills (Report - Survey). SDV344050.


Devon County Council, 1997-2002, Buildings at Risk Survey in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills AONB (Un-published). SDV344048.


Thorp, J., 2000, Wadhays Farm, BH005013 (Ground Photograph). SDV349772.


Thorp, J., 2000, Wadhays, BH005021-BH005025 (Un-published). SDV350982.


Devon and Somerset County Councils, 2000-2002, Historic Farmsteads Database, Building BH005.4 (Machine readable data file). SDV349681.

Visited 4th June 2000 by John Thorp. Long two storey building on east-west axis and built down the hillslope, now divided into two with the cider house and apple loft to the west and a cellar and potato store to the east. This arrangement dates back to a 19th century refurbishment of the late 17th- or early 18th century original building. Built 1650 to 1700. Original use unknown. Currently unused. In fair condition.
Seventeenth century work is cob on high stone rubble footings, but east end rebuilt in 19th century using stone rubble with brick dressings. Cob is now exposed, but was formerly plastered.
Four bays. Side pegged jointed crucks. High flat collars mortised and tenoned to principals and unnotched mortise and tenon to apex. Two sets of threaded purlins and ridge. Cruck posts descend to approx. 200 millimetres above floor level. Most purlins survive and are scarfed together over backs of trusses. Asbestos sheet covering.
Historically powered by generator.
13.67 metres by 6.75 metres by 3.7 metres high to eaves. Length extended in 19th century to 16.70 metres.
Unclear how many doorways are original. Pair on north side ( east of centre) much rebuilt in mid 20th century with concrete block jambs and concrete lintels;but surviving stone rubble jamb of west doorway indicates this ancient if not original. Further west another doorway blocked in 19th century. North end has 19th century loft loading hatch with brick jambs and segmented arch head, probably original plain timber frame and door. South side has 3 doorways, all with stone rubble sides and timber lintels. All plain timber frames of 19th century or 20th century date, but centre one ( to loft stair) has ancient oak studded plank door hung on wrought iron strap hinges with teardrop finials. Connecting door to adjoining 19th century calves shed at west end was formerly external. Unclear how many windows in original openings . Two in eastern half of north front built or rebuilt in mid-late 20th century. Further west a 19th century timber window with a 4 light grille with smaller 3 light version. Two ground floor windows on south side are insertions from 18th century or 19th century. Single first floor window has 19th century timber grille similiar to those on north side. Original window embrasure to ground floor west end, now blocked. At east end, loft lit by small windows flanking loading hatch. Towards west end of north side timber lined channel through wall. This inserted in late 19th century to take driveshaft from nearby engine house (5) to power apple crusher.
Crosswall and much of east end ( including first floor axial beam ) date from 19th century. West end is largely 17th century but room was originally 2 rather than the existing 3 bays. Eastern crossbeam is two crossbeams. Western one chamfered on west side only suggesting it was against an original crossbeam. Western crossbeam of large scantling with rough chamfers and rests on timber pads in the wall. Now all but north end of west bay open to roof or raised platform for cider press. North end of west bay open to roof to accomodate raised platform for cider press. Apparent absence of joist pockets along west side of beam suggests there has always been a smaller opening here. Boarded first floor partition contains door with good 19th century ferramenta. Potato store has 19th century brick lining to the walls.
An interesting survival, of historic importance in its own right.


Tyers, C + Hurford, M. + Arnold, A. + Howard, R.E. + Thorp, J., 2009, Dendrochronological Research in Devon: Phase II (Report - Interim). SDV348234.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


English Heritage, 2012, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV348729.

[One of three] farmbuildings round a yard immediately north of Wadhayes Farmhouse.
The southernmost building is 17th century and forms a narrow service yard to the rear of the farmhouse. It is of stone rubble and has a probably early 17th century jointed cruck roof construction with very high collars mortised into the principals. It is especially interesting for the survival of the 17th century roof structure and may be contemporary with a programme of modernizing the house in 1621. It forms a integral part of the farmhouse complex.


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV344048Un-published: Devon County Council. 1997-2002. Buildings at Risk Survey in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills AONB. Buildings at Risk Survey in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills AONB. Mixed Archive Material + Digital.
SDV344050Report - Survey: Clements, H. A.. 1994. Survey of Farmsteads in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills. A4 Comb Bound + Digital.
SDV348234Report - Interim: Tyers, C + Hurford, M. + Arnold, A. + Howard, R.E. + Thorp, J.. 2009. Dendrochronological Research in Devon: Phase II. English Heritage Centre for Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #61963 ]
SDV348729National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2012. National Heritage List for England. Website.
SDV349681Machine readable data file: Devon and Somerset County Councils. 2000-2002. Historic Farmsteads Database. Building BH005.4.
SDV349772Ground Photograph: Thorp, J.. 2000. Wadhays Farm. Photograph (Digital). BH005013.
SDV350982Un-published: Thorp, J.. 2000. Wadhays. Digital. BH005021-BH005025.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV82700Part of: Wadhays Farm, Awliscombe (Monument)
MDV77571Related to: Three Farmbuildings at Wadhays Farm, Awliscombe (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4655 - Survey of Farmsteads in the Blackdown Hills
  • EDV4654 - Buildings at Risk Re-Survey
  • EDV5623 - Dendrochronological Research in Devon, Phase II

Date Last Edited:Jan 30 2018 2:08PM