HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV102596
Name:Remains of building adjoining the Counting House, Devon Friendship Mine

Summary

Remains of a ruined building adjoining the Counting House / Mine Captain's House at Devon Friendship Mine, Mary Tavy. This is thought to have been an outbuilding used to house animals, possibly a stable. The remains were excavated prior to the new extension being added sometime after 2007.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 504 793
Map Sheet:SX57NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMary Tavy
DistrictWest Devon

Protected Status

  • SHINE: Structural remains of buildings and machinery, as well as earthwork and buried remains of features relating to the Wheal Friendship Mine, Mary Tavy, worked between 1700-1925

Other References/Statuses

  • SHINE Candidate (Yes)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE? (XIX to XX - 1840 AD to 1960 AD)

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

This structure is not shown on the 1840s Tithe Map, so post-dates this period.


Southwest Archaeology, 2007, Glebe Cottage, Mary Tavy. Results of a Desk-based Assessment, Historic Building Survey and Archaeological Watching Brief, pg 7 (Report - Assessment). SDV349948.

Ruined rectangular building adjoining the south gable end of Glebe Cottage and built into the hillslope to the west and south. Two walls and cobbled floor remaining with a flight of four steps at the north-west corner.
Only the southern end of the west wall and the southern wall survive of the original building. Both of these walls reduce in width at approximately 2.5 meters above ground level, forming a shelf on the inside of the building, presumably to carry an upper floor.
The construction of the walls is generally rubblestone, with some areas of facing and remnants of limewash. The floor is cobbled with a lateral cobbled drain. There are three central areas of larger flatter stones which may indicate the entrances to former cubicals and three area of repair are thought to be the position of feeders.
The results of the watching found mine waste underlying the cobbled floor of the building, indicating that the structure was constructed after the cottage acquired a function associated with the mine. The cobbled drain, the lack of other floors found under the cobbled floor and the lack of any other indications of domestic use all support the interpretation of a non-domestic function for this building.
Photographic evidence from around 1900 and 1960 compiled for the Desk Based Assessment shows the building as a two-storey construction with a hipped roof at the south end. The number of ground floor openings and unglazed openings in the first floor all suggest this was an agricultural building.


GeoInformation Group Ltd, 2010, 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution) (Aerial Photograph). SDV346026.

New extension is shown on aerial photography adjoining Glebe Cottage to the north. Roof is hipped at the south end.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

New building on this location is not indicated on the modern mapping and the outline of the ruins is still shown.
Map object is based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV346026Aerial Photograph: GeoInformation Group Ltd. 2010. 1:625 2010 Colour (12.5cm resolution). 2010 Aerial Photographs. Digital.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV349948Report - Assessment: Southwest Archaeology. 2007. Glebe Cottage, Mary Tavy. Results of a Desk-based Assessment, Historic Building Survey and Archaeological Watching Brief. Southwest Archaeology Report. 070710. A4 Comb Bound + Digital. pg 7.

Associated Monuments

MDV56129Related to: Glebe Cottage; former Counthouse and Mine Captain's House for Devon Friendship Mine (Building)
MDV102866Related to: Weir on Cholwell Brook in Mary Tavy (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5971 - Building survey at Glebe Cottage, Mary Tavy
  • EDV5972 - Watching brief at Glebe Cottage, Mary Tavy

Date Last Edited:May 15 2018 11:14AM