HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV102963
Name:Former field boundary north of Anchor Mills

Summary

A possible former field boundary of probable medieval or post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs of 1949 as a low, right-angled earthwork bank, to the immediate north of Anchor Mills, Pottington. The possible boundary probably passed out of use by circa 1890 but might survive as a low earthwork.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 548 337
Map Sheet:SS53SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBarnstaple
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishPILTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD BOUNDARY (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The relict earthwork does not correspond with a depicted boundary.


Royal Air Force, 1949, RAF/58/271, NMR RAF/58/271 5289-90 28-JUN-1949 (Aerial Photograph). SDV350189.

A possible former field bundary is visible as a low earthwork bank.


Hegarty, C. + Knight, S., 2011 - 2012, North Devon Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme Project (Interpretation). SDV349018.

A possible former field boundary of probable later medieval or post-medieval date is visible on aerial photographs of 1949 as a low, right-angled earthwork bank, to the immediate north of Anchor Mills, Pottington. The earthwork does not correspond with any field boundaries depicted on the Ordnance Survey first edition 25 inch map of the 1880s-1890s. However, the possible relict boundary does appear to have been aligned upon other former boundaries depicted on the Ordnance Survey first edition map and would have defined a small field or paddock roughly 38 metres square. It is therefore probable that the relict boundary had passed out of use by end of the nineteenth century. It is possible the former boundary survives as a low earthwork as the current Ordnance Survey base map appears to indicate that the line of the relict earthwork appears to have been used as the northern boundary of the Anchor Mills Mill and depot.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

The relict earthwork is not clearly visible but appears to correspond with a modern property boundary.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV349018Interpretation: Hegarty, C. + Knight, S.. 2011 - 2012. North Devon Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme Project. AC Archaeology Report. ACD383/2/1. Digital.
Linked documents:1
SDV350189Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1949. RAF/58/271. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). NMR RAF/58/271 5289-90 28-JUN-1949. [Mapped feature: #62466 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6132 - North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty NMP Project

Date Last Edited:Aug 21 2018 11:32AM