HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV103201
Name:Field Boundaries South of Stapleton Farm

Summary

An extensive former field system of possible late prehistoric date is visible on aerial photographs of 1947 and later as low linear earthworks and fragmentary cropmarks on a narrow east to west orientated hilltop or spur to the south of the A3123, crossing from Bittadon into Berrynarbor parish.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 554 436
Map Sheet:SS54SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBerrynarbor
Civil ParishBittadon
Ecclesiastical ParishBERRYNARBOR
Ecclesiastical ParishBITTADON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD SYSTEM (Early Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1750 AD)

Full description

Charles Cooper, 1840, Map of the Parish of Bittadon in the County of Devon (Cartographic). SDV350574.

The cropmark features do not correspond with any field boundaries depicted on the tithe map for Bittadon.


1840, Tithe Map of the Parish of Berrynarbor (Cartographic). SDV350468.

The cropmark features do not correspond with any field boundaries depicted on the tithe map for Berrynarbor.


Royal Air Force, 1947, RAF CPE/UK/1980, NMR RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3112-3113 11-APR-1947 (Aerial Photograph). SDV350276.

Field boundaries are visible as cropmarks centred on circa SS550437 and SS552436. Map objects partly based on this source.


Royal Air Force, 1964, RAF 543/2821 F66, NMR RAF/543/2821 F66 0204-0205 27-APR-1964 (Aerial Photograph). SDV350307.

The field centred at circa SS55436 has been partly ploughed since the 1940s and crisp cropmarks of former firld boundaries are visible, with fragments of earthwork bank surviving to the easten end of the field system. Map objects partly based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 1989, OS/89114, NMR OS/89114 686-687 04-MAY-1989 (Aerial Photograph). SDV350315.

Extensive but diffuse and plough spread cropmarks of former curvilinear field boundaries are visible. Map objects partly based on this source.


Turner, S.C., 2005 - 2006, Devon Historic Landscape Characterisation Mapping (Cartographic). SDV349122.

The cropmarks appear to predate the current field pattern characterised as fields laid out in the 18th and 19th centuries with surveyed dead-straight field boundaries.


Next Perspectives, 2007, Pan Government Agreement Aerial Photographs, Next Perspectives PGA Tile Ref: SS5543 03-MAY-2007 (Aerial Photograph). SDV350196.

Extensive but diffuse and plough spread cropmarks of former curvilinear field boundaries are visible.


Hegarty, C. + Knight, S., 2011 - 2012, North Devon Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme Project (Interpretation). SDV349018.

Evidence of an extensive former field system of possible late prehistoric date is visible on aerial photographs of 1947 and later as low linear earthworks and fragmentary cropmarks extending over roughly 16.5 hectares of a narrow east to west orientated hilltop or spur. The spur or hill is defined by the Sterridge Valley to the north and the combes of tributaries to Colam Stream to the south. The primary axis of the earthworks and cropmarks is north to south, forming roughly parallel curvilinear divisions over the crest of the hill, although these abut former boundaries orientated east to west. The cropmark boundaries are probably associated with a fragmentary cropmark to the west. No field boundaries are depicted in this location on the 1840 Tithe map. Although it is possible these features are the remains of medieval or post-medieval field boundary banks that went out of use prior to the mid nineteenth century, they are not typically medieval in character and a prehistoric date seems more likely. The earthwork remains of a late prehistoric hilltop enclosure is located less than 150 metres to the north-west.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV349018Interpretation: Hegarty, C. + Knight, S.. 2011 - 2012. North Devon Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme Project. AC Archaeology Report. ACD383/2/1. Digital.
Linked documents:1
SDV349122Cartographic: Turner, S.C.. 2005 - 2006. Devon Historic Landscape Characterisation Mapping. Digital.
SDV350196Aerial Photograph: Next Perspectives. 2007. Pan Government Agreement Aerial Photographs. Pan Government Agreement Aerial Photographs. Digital. Next Perspectives PGA Tile Ref: SS5543 03-MAY-2007.
SDV350276Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1947. RAF CPE/UK/1980. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). NMR RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3112-3113 11-APR-1947.
SDV350307Aerial Photograph: Royal Air Force. 1964. RAF 543/2821 F66. Royal Air Force Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). NMR RAF/543/2821 F66 0204-0205 27-APR-1964.
SDV350315Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1989. OS/89114. Ordnance Survey Aerial Photograph. Photograph (Paper). NMR OS/89114 686-687 04-MAY-1989.
SDV350468Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map of the Parish of Berrynarbor. Tithe Map.
SDV350574Cartographic: Charles Cooper. 1840. Map of the Parish of Bittadon in the County of Devon. Tithe Map.

Associated Monuments

MDV5651Related to: Hilltop Enclosure north-east of Outer Narracott Farm, Bittadon (Monument)
MDV103158Related to: Possible Field or Enclosure Boundaries East of Lynton Cross (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV6132 - North Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty NMP Project

Date Last Edited:Aug 17 2016 5:46PM