HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV10348
Name:The Priory, Ottery St. Mary

Summary

Red brick building dating to the 18th century. It was probably named The Priory by the Revd George Smith who took over ownership of the building in the mid 19th century. It became a school from 1896-1912 and following the First World War was home to the local branch of the Royal British Legion. The building was subsequently restored and turned into a police station from 1949-1974, when it became a home for the elderly.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 099 956
Map Sheet:SY09NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishOttery St. Mary
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishOTTERY ST.MARY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY09NE/22
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BUILDING (Built, XVIII - 1701 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

ANDREW,S., Untitled Source (Report - Survey). SDV102865.

Vis=estimated -/-/1968(andrew,s. ) the priory. It was bought by the governors of the king's school in 1894 for use as a school. It fell into decay and a new school was built on a new site. The priory has now been restored and converted into a police station. Vis=(estimated)-/-/1973 (doe).18th century with alterations.2 storey, red brick. Full description in list.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102866.

Andrew, s. /tda/100(1968)356/the king's school, ottery st. Mary.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102867.

Doe/hhr:ottery st. Mary ud/(1974)21.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102868.

Osa=sy09ne20.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Buildings marked as King's Sch.


Ordnance Survey, 1953-1969, 1953-1969 National Grid OS A edition imperial (Cartographic). SDV352727.

Building marked as a police station (Pol Sta).


Ottery St Mary Heritage Society, 2012, How Did 'The Priory' Get Its Name?, 7-8 (Article in Serial). SDV361691.

No ecclesiastical link can be found and it is suggested that the building became known as The Priory in the mid 19th century when ownership passed to Rev. George Smith. Prior to this it was owned and occupied by John Ellis Lee; it is recorded as a House and Offices on the 1846 Tithe Apportionment. It became the Kings Grammar School from 1896-1912, when the school moved to new purpose-built premises in Barrack Road and following the First World War was home to the local branch of the Royal British Legion. From 1949-1974 it was a police station; the detention cells are still there in the basement (now used for storage). The building became a home for the elderly in 1974. See article for full details.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

10 Paternoster Row.


Historic England, 2018, National Heritage List for England, 1213372 (National Heritage List for England). SDV360653.

The Priory.
C18 with alterations, two storey and dormers and cellars, red brick, slate roof, three dormer casements, eaves cornice with pediment above centre slight projection. Five, 1st floor flush frame sash windows. First floor band. Wood doorcase with dentil open pediment, arched radial bar fanlight, six-panel door with fielded upper panels and panelled reveals. Rainwater heads inscribed: CB 1759 and 1779 respectively. Flank projecting piers with stone scroll above 1st floor band.
Interior: fanlight and fluted columns at end of entrance hall, stairs with shallow treads and panelled dado. (NMR.)
All the listed buildings in Paternoster Row form an important group opposite or near St Mary's Church.
Date first listed: 28th April 1952
This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25 July 2018.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV102865Report - Survey: ANDREW,S.. [Mapped feature: #113060 ]
SDV102866Migrated Record:
SDV102867Migrated Record:
SDV102868Migrated Record:
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV352727Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1953-1969. 1953-1969 National Grid OS A edition imperial. Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV360653National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2018. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1213372.
SDV361691Article in Serial: Ottery St Mary Heritage Society. 2012. How Did 'The Priory' Get Its Name?. Heritage. 44. Website. 7-8.

Associated Monuments

MDV19992Related to: Ottery St Mary, Priory (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 22 2018 12:06PM