HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV10357
Name:All Saints' Parish Church, East Budleigh

Summary

Church of All Saints. 13th century origins (Saxon origin also suggested), rebuilt 15th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 066 849
Map Sheet:SY08SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishEast Budleigh
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST BUDLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 4842
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SY08SE/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (I)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to XXI - 1066 AD to 2009 AD (Between))

Full description

Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102022.

Brushfield, t. N. /tda/23(1891)239-305/the church of all saints, east budleigh.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102023.

Brushfield, t. N. /tda/26(1894)269,288-290/the church of all saints, east budleigh.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102024.

Pevsner, n. /the buildings of england: south devon/(1952)125.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102025.

Copeland, g. W.(ed)/tda/95(1963)21/proceedings at the 101st annual meeting.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102026.

Rose-troup, f. /dcnq/17(1932-1933)134-135/roger conant's homes in england and new england.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102027.

Doe/hhr:east budleigh/(10/2/1987)80-82.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102028.

Weddell, p. J. /pdas/44(1986)107-141/the excavation of medieval and later houses and st. Margaret's chapel at exmouth 1982-1984.


BRUSHFIELD, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV102934.

The church of all saints, east budleigh. Consists of nave and aisle, chancel, entrance porch and tower in central position at west end of nave. Walling in squared stone laid in random courses, plastered over. Beer stone used in all dressings, mullions, tracery, etc. No clerestory. Ribbed barrel roof, slightly pointed, with carved bosses at the intersections. Principals and main timbers of oak. Two aisles are separated from the nave on each side by arcades, each consisting of four arches supported on three piers with half piers at either end. Two-centred arches with no hood moulding. Capitals ornamented mainly with foliage and four-leaved flower. Figure of a horse on north side of chancel arch, and a human mask on south capital of west pier, south aisle. Mullions and tracery in north aisle windows modern, rest of stonework original. Windows at east wall of aisle is four-centred, subarcuated. Lights ogee headed and cinquefoiled. Tracery 'alternate' rising from the heads of the lights, not from the mullions, and has three principal piercings of broad vesica shape, cinquefoiled above and below. Principal entrance by the south porch. Doorway has pointed arch, no shafting but concave moulding containing a number of detached four-leaf flowers. A stoup has been torn from the wall. Sundial over south porch also gone. Plain trefoiled piscina with chamfered edges. East wall of chancel rebuilt 1866. Remarkable oak communion table, probably originally a vestment chest. Oak rood screen has been extensively repaired. Large buttress contains rood loft staircase, two hagioscopes found. Embattled tower of three stages, each separated by projecting plain string course. Plain diagonal buttresses at the two west angles, each of two stages. West doorway has pointed arch, outlined by hood moulding. West window is of three lights, with threefoil heads, each foliation being subdivided by a cusp. Mullions terminate at the lights, alternate tracery. Perpendicular beerstone font. Traces of fresco paintings found. Perpendicular. Church on site probably since early norman, or even pre-norman period. Restored 1884 (brushfield).


ROSE-TROUP, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV22906.

Author reconstructs the interior as it would have been in the 17th century. Postulates a saxon origin (rose-troup).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV326765.

Parish church, 13th century origins, now all 15th century (probably 1420-55) since arms of bishops lacy survive in glass in the north aisle, restored 1884 with new vestry by r. M. Fulford. Many other features see doe list for details in full (doe).


Weddell, P. J., Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV6252.

Matthew mundy, vicar in 1779, complained of his living "the whole but a scanty living for a clergyman". His complaints are usually held responsible for the demise of st. Margaret's chapel, exmouth (weddell).


Greenhow, H., 1996, Untitled Source (Correspondence). SDV346922.

Several Elizabethan bench ends have recently been moved. One pew, rear the pulpit, has been removed and its Elizabethan bench end fixed clumsily to the wall, so that it sits on a piece of pipework at floor level.


Fisher, J., 1999, East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: East Budleigh, 3, 5-7, 9 (Report - non-specific). SDV346582.

On entering the conservation area from the south, the view is dominated by the tower of All Saints Church. It is mainly of the 15th century and built of red sandstone but with imposing Beer stone arcades. It is one of the few churches locally to have been carefully restored in the 19th century (1884-87) and thus kept a fine 15th century screen, and although some have been removed there are nearly 60 carved bench ends. The church and village are much visited because of their association with the Raleighs, and the family pew with coat of arms and date of 1537 is the first on the north side of the nave. Other details: Maps, photographs.


Exeter Archaeology, 2003-2004, East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey, Site No. 2181 (Archive - Survey). SDV351568.

Church of All Saints. 13th century origins (Saxon origin also suggested), rebuilt 15th century. Listed Grade I.
SMR.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV102022Migrated Record:
SDV102023Migrated Record:
SDV102024Migrated Record:
SDV102025Migrated Record:
SDV102026Migrated Record:
SDV102027Migrated Record:
SDV102028Migrated Record:
SDV102934Migrated Record: BRUSHFIELD.
SDV22906Migrated Record: ROSE-TROUP.
SDV326765Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV346582Report - non-specific: Fisher, J.. 1999. East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: East Budleigh. East Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3, 5-7, 9.
SDV346922Correspondence: Greenhow, H.. 1996. Letter. A4 Stapled.
SDV351568Archive - Survey: Exeter Archaeology. 2003-2004. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Archaeological Survey. Digital + Mixed Archive Material. Site No. 2181.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #63076 ]
SDV6252Migrated Record: Weddell, P. J..

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 20 2017 4:16PM