HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV104093
Name:Holsworthy War Memorial

Summary

The memorial which comprises a tall wheel-head Cornish granite cross stands in the parish churchyard. The names of those who died in the First and Second World Wars are recorded upon it.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 343 038
Map Sheet:SS30SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHolsworthy
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishHOLSWORTHY

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAR MEMORIAL (World War I to XX - 1914 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Google, 2013, Google Streetview (Website). SDV350787.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

'War Memorial' marked.


Brine, M. E., 2013, War Memorials, Photo (Website). SDV351333.

The names of Holsworthy men who died in the Second World War are inscribed on one side of a granite plinth which forms the base of the First World War Memorial. It stands just within the boundary of the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul


Historic England, 2017, Holsworthy War Memorial, The churchyard, The Parish Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, North Road, Holsworthy, Devon (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV360335.

Historic England is currently considering the memorial for listing as part of their First World War Commemoration project. They have completed a consultation report which sets out the factual information of the site upon which they will base their decision.
History
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration
ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both
the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also
the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the
main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Holsworthy as
a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost
their lives in the First World War.
A public meeting held in October 1919 debated the type of war memorial that Holsworthy
should have, resolving to erect a cenotaph and leaving the choice of location to the War
Memorial Committee. The cross that was raised outside the Church of St Peter and St Paul
(Grade II*-listed) was unveiled during an ecumenical service on 4 August 1921 by Admiral
Stuart Nicholson CB MVO. One of the flags used in the unveiling process was the White
Ensign from HMS Carnarvon that had served in the Battle of the Falklands (8 December
1918).
The memorial commemorates 36 local servicemen who died in the First World War and was
dedicated by the Rural Dean, Reverend EA Donaldson. It cost £385, raised by public
subscription. Following the Second World War a dedication was added to mark those 27 men
who died in that conflict.
Details
The memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade
II*-listed), to the south of the church tower and in close proximity to a number of other Grade
II-listed structures. It takes the form of a tall wheel-head cross in Cornish granite enclosed by
a chained area demarked by granite posts.
The wheel-head cross is decorated with elaborate carved interlace patterns, both to the cross
head and the shaft. The shaft rises from a tapering pedestal, which stands on a two-stepped
granite base. The 11 pyramidal granite posts carry a pair of chains enclosing the cross, with
an entrance on the east side.
The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the pedestal reads ERECTED TO THE
MEMORY OF THE MEN/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918,/ BY THE
PARISHIONERS OF HOLSWORTHY/ (NAMES). Below, on the front face of the upper step,
is GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR
HIS FRIENDS.
The pedestal’s rear face carried the later dedication, reading IN/ MEMORY OF/ (NAMES)
WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES DURING THE 1939 – 45 WAR/ GIVE UNTO THY SERVANTS
THAT PEACE WHICH THE WORLD CANNOT GIVE.


Historic England, 2017, Holsworthy War Memorial, The churchyard, The Parish Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, North Road, Holsworthy, Devon (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV360473.

Notification that the war memorial has been added to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1449657 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Holsworthy War Memorial.
Summary of Building
First World War memorial, unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War..
Reasons for Designation
Holsworthy Memorial, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Historic interest:
* As an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20. Architectural interest:
* A tall and elaborately decorated wheel-head cross incorporating intricate interlace patterns in the Celtic style, in Cornish granite.
Group value:
* With the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II*-listed) and a number of Grade II-listed structures nearby including 1, North Road and a K6 Telephone Kiosk to south east of the Library. .
History
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss. One such memorial was raised at Holsworthy as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War.
A public meeting held in October 1919 debated the type of war memorial that Holsworthy should have, resolving to erect a cenotaph and leaving the choice of location to the War Memorial Committee. The cross that was raised outside the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II*-listed) was unveiled during an ecumenical service on 4 August 1921 by Admiral Stuart Nicholson CB MVO. One of the flags used in the unveiling process was the White Ensign from HMS Carnarvon that had served in the Battle of the Falklands (8 December 1918).
The memorial commemorates 36 local servicemen who died in the First World War and was dedicated by the Rural Dean, Reverend EA Donaldson. It cost £385, raised by public subscription. Following the Second World War a dedication was added to mark those 27 men who died in that conflict. .
Details
The memorial stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter and St Paul (Grade II*-listed), to the south of the church tower and in close proximity to a number of other Grade II-listed structures. It takes the form of a tall wheel-head cross in Cornish granite enclosed by a chained area demarcated by granite posts.
The wheel-head cross is decorated with elaborate carved interlace patterns, both to the cross head and the shaft. The shaft rises from a tapering pedestal, which stands on a two-stepped granite base. The 11 pyramidal granite posts carry a pair of chains enclosing the cross, with an entrance on the east side.
The principal dedicatory inscription to the front face of the pedestal reads ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918,/ BY THE PARISHIONERS OF HOLSWORTHY/ (NAMES). Below, on the front face of the upper step, is GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS.
The pedestal’s rear face carried the later dedication, reading IN/ MEMORY OF/ (NAMES) WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES DURING THE 1939 – 45 WAR/ GIVE UNTO THY SERVANTS THAT PEACE WHICH THE WORLD CANNOT GIVE.
Date first listed: 12th October 2017

Sources / Further Reading

SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV350787Website: Google. 2013. Google Streetview. http://maps.google.co.uk. Website. [Mapped feature: #63563 ]
SDV351333Website: Brine, M. E.. 2013. War Memorials. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website. Photo.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1449657.
SDV360335List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2017. Holsworthy War Memorial, The churchyard, The Parish Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, North Road, Holsworthy, Devon. Notification of Consideration of Monument for Addition to List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Digital.
SDV360473List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2017. Holsworthy War Memorial, The churchyard, The Parish Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, North Road, Holsworthy, Devon. Notification of Addition to List. Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 19 2017 4:18PM