HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV104170
Name:Former County Primary School, Tavistock

Summary

The second elementary school established by the 7th Duke of Bedford, built in 1856. Originally known as the British School, it is now a doctors' surgery.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 479 742
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1856 AD to 1856 AD (Throughout))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

'School' shown, with 'Infants' in the centre, 'Boys' in the east wing, and 'Girls' in the west wing.


The Tavistock and District Local History Society, 1994, About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks, 14, 47 (Monograph). SDV354806.


West Devon Borough Council, 1995, Tavistock Conservation Area Partnership Bid, 18 (Report - non-specific). SDV351526.


West Devon Borough Council, 2009, Tavistock Conservation Area Character Appraisal, 52, 65, 98; maps 7-8 (Report - non-specific). SDV350321.

The second elementary school established by the 7th Duke dates to 1856. Initially known as the British School, the single-storey gabled building was designed by the Bedford surveyor Edward Rundle, prior to his appointment to design the Pannier Market and Town Hall. The building continued to serve as a primary school until 1991, since when it has been a doctors’ surgery. Considered to make a positive contribution to the special interest of the conservation area, and may be considered for local listing.
Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV350321Report - non-specific: West Devon Borough Council. 2009. Tavistock Conservation Area Character Appraisal. West Devon Borough Council Report. Digital. 52, 65, 98; maps 7-8.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV351526Report - non-specific: West Devon Borough Council. 1995. Tavistock Conservation Area Partnership Bid. West Devon Borough Council Report. A4 Comb Bound + Digital. 18.
SDV354806Monograph: The Tavistock and District Local History Society. 1994. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. A5 Paperback. 14, 47.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 13 2015 9:51AM