HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV104368
Name:Milton Abbot War Memorial

Summary

Prominently positioned war memorial commemorating the fallen of both World Wars. The face bearing the names of the war dead is now badly weather-worn and in need of some restoration.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 407 792
Map Sheet:SX47NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishMilton Abbot
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishMILTON ABBOT

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAR MEMORIAL (Unveiled, XX - 1921 AD to 1921 AD (Between))

Full description

Bluesky, 2006 - 2007, Bluesky aerial photographs 2006 - 2007 (Aerial Photograph). SDV341189.

Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

'War Meml' marked.


Brine, M. E., 2013, War Memorials, Photo (Website). SDV351333.

The War Memorial commemorates the fallen of both World Wars. It stands in a prominent position on a corner of the churchyard facing the main street. Sadly, the face bearing the names of the war dead is now badly weather-worn and in need of some restoration - even the solitary name for World War 2 is becoming difficult to read.
Map object based on this source.


Historic England, 2017, Milton Abbot War Memorial, The Churchyard, The Church of St Constantine, Fore Street, Milton Abbot, Tavistock (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV360315.

Historic England is currently considering whether the memorial has special architectural or historic interest.
History
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the
main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Milton Abbot as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 10 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by TC Ratcliffe and made by JT Miller of Okehampton. The memorial was unveiled on 12 June 1921 by Mr Stephen Hammock and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Plymouth. Following the Second World War, the name of one serviceman who died in that conflict was added.
Details
The war memorial stands in the north-east corner of the churchyard of the Parish Church of St Constantine (Grade I-listed), in close proximity to numerous Grade II-listed churchyard monuments and the lych gate. It comprises a tall granite cross rising from a pedestal, which stands on a three-stepped base.
The plain Latin cross, octagonal in section, is ornamented with a carved reversed sword. The moulded foot of the cross shaft rises from the corniced pedestal. The pedestal, square on plan, stands on an octagonal three-stepped base. The principal dedicatory inscription, to the front face of the pedestal, reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN PROUD MEMORY OF/ (10 NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING/ AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.
The later Second World War inscription at the foot of the pedestal reads 1939 – 1945/ (1 NAME). All the inscriptions are in applied metal lettering.


Historic England, 2017, Milton Abbot War Memorial, The churchyard, The Church of St Constantine, Fore Street, Milton Abbot, Tavistock, Devon (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV360572.

Notification that the memorial has been added to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1449785 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Milton Abbot War Memorial
Summary of Building
First World War memorial cross, unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reasons for Designation
Milton Abbot War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
Historic interest:
*     as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.     
Architectural interest:
*     an elegant and well-proportioned granite memorial cross incorporating a symbol of sacrifice, the reversed sword.
Group value:
* with the Parish Church of St Constantine (Grade I) and numerous Grade II-listed assets including churchyard monuments, the lych gate, and adjacent dwellings.
History
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Milton Abbot as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by 10 members of the local community who lost their lives in the First World War. It was designed by TC Ratcliffe and made by JT Miller of Okehampton. The memorial was unveiled on 12 June 1921 by Mr Stephen Hammock and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Plymouth. Following the Second World War, the name of one serviceman who died in that conflict was added.
Details
The war memorial stands in the north-east corner of the churchyard of the Parish Church of St Constantine (Grade I-listed), in close proximity to numerous Grade II-listed churchyard monuments and the lych gate. It comprises a tall granite cross rising from a pedestal, which stands on a three-stepped base.
The plain Latin cross, octagonal in section, is ornamented with a carved reversed sword. The moulded foot of the cross shaft rises from the corniced pedestal. The pedestal, square on plan, stands on an octagonal three-stepped base. The principal dedicatory inscription, to the front face of the pedestal, reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN PROUD MEMORY OF/ (10 NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR KING/ AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918.
The later Second World War inscription at the foot of the pedestal reads 1939 – 1945/ (1 NAME). All the inscriptions are in applied metal lettering.
Dated first listed: 19th October 2017

Sources / Further Reading

SDV341189Aerial Photograph: Bluesky. 2006 - 2007. Bluesky aerial photographs 2006 - 2007. Bluesky. Photograph (Digital).
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV351333Website: Brine, M. E.. 2013. War Memorials. http://www.devonheritage.org/WarMemorials.htm. Website. Photo.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1449785.
SDV360315List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2017. Milton Abbot War Memorial, The Churchyard, The Church of St Constantine, Fore Street, Milton Abbot, Tavistock. Assess Building for Designation. Digital.
SDV360572List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Historic England. 2017. Milton Abbot War Memorial, The churchyard, The Church of St Constantine, Fore Street, Milton Abbot, Tavistock, Devon. Notification of Addition to List. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV3807Part of: St. Constantine's Parish Church, Milton Abbot (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 17 2018 3:18PM